Length of Line between 2 Points on Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the term for the shortest distance between two points on the perimeter of a circle, which is referred to as a chord. The participants also discuss the transformation between an infinitesimal chord and an infinitesimal arc in physics and mathematics. The conversation includes a derivation of the relationship between the length of a chord and the length of an arc, as well as a clarification on the use of theta as a function of the chord length. The conversation ends with a confirmation of the calculations and an explanation of the meaning of the identity that states the ratio d(chordlength)/d(arclength) = 1.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi,

I'd like to know the name for the length in a circle that I will describe:

Consider 2 arbitrary points lying on the perimeter of a circle. I'm talking about the shortest distance distance between these those points. (i.e. the straight line joining them.)

Thx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's called a chord.

Yep, a chord.

Ok, I have a confusion involving a cord. In physics, we often make the transformation from an infinitesimal cord to an infinitesimal arc: d(cord) = d(arc). And I think it's used in some math proofs too.

For exemple, imagine a position vector [itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex] of fixed norm, rotating around the z axis (i.e. [itex]\vec{\omega} = \omega \hat{z}[/itex]). Let's say the radius of the circle described by the motion of its tip/head/arrow is R. After a time [itex]\Delta t[/itex], it has rotated an angle [itex]\omega \Delta t[/itex] and then they (the manuals) say that it can be seen that when [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is small, [itex]||\Delta \vec{r}||[/itex] (which is a cord), is very near the length of the arc [itex]\Delta s[/itex] subtended by the angle [itex]\omega \Delta t[/itex], and thus, poof, [itex]||d\vec{r}|| = ds[/itex].

And while this seems to be true intuitively, I have never seen a proof of this statement. And when I try to do it, here's what I get:

I start from a cercle of radius R and a cord [itex]\delta[/itex] subtended by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. I find that the length of the cord is given by

[tex]\delta = 2Rsin\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)[/tex]

Therefor,

[tex]d\delta=Rcos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)d\theta[/tex]

While

[tex]ds=rd\theta[/tex]

So

[tex]d\delta=cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)ds[/tex]

A result indicating that even the differential version is just an approximation because only true for a principal angle [itex]\theta=0[/itex].

Last edited:
it follows from the identity

[tex] \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \theta}{\theta} = 1 [/tex]

Also, the mistake in your derivation is that theta is a function of the chord length.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply StatusX

StatusX said:
it follows from the identity

[tex] \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \theta}{\theta} = 1 [/tex]
At which point does that identity fit in?

StatusX said:
Also, the mistake in your derivation is that theta is a function of the chord length.

Could you elaborate?

Sure,if "y" is a function of "x",then "x" is a function of "y",right??So he basically didin't say anything new...You were right,though...Your calculations were corrrect.I guess u knew that,but u have my confirmation...

Daniel. :smile:

quasar987 said:
At which point does that identity fit in?

A chord of length 2 R sin(theta) is subtended by an angle of 2 theta (in radians) and so has an arclength of 2 R theta. The identity means d(chordlength)/d(arclength) = 1.

Could you elaborate?

I'm sorry, I just glanced at your last step and assumed you had forgotten that if arclength is 0, then theta must be as well. You did forget that, but for a different reason. What you derived is how an chord of finite length changes with an infinitessimal change in arclength. What you wanted was the ratio of a differential chord to the differential arclength it subtends. To get the differential you're looking for, just take theta=0.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the length of a line between two points on a circle?

The formula for finding the length of a line between two points on a circle is L = rθ, where L is the length of the line, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle subtended by the two points.

2. How do you determine the central angle between two points on a circle?

To determine the central angle between two points on a circle, you can use the formula θ = arc length / radius. The arc length can be found by using the distance between the two points and the circumference of the circle, which is 2πr where r is the radius.

3. Can the length of a line between two points on a circle be negative?

No, the length of a line between two points on a circle cannot be negative. The length is always measured as a positive value and represents the distance between the two points.

4. How does the length of a line between two points on a circle change as the central angle increases?

As the central angle increases, the length of the line between two points on a circle also increases. This is because the arc length, which is a part of the central angle, gets longer as the central angle increases.

5. Can the length of a line between two points on a circle be greater than the circumference of the circle?

No, the length of a line between two points on a circle cannot be greater than the circumference of the circle. The circumference represents the distance around the entire circle, so any line between two points on the circle will always be shorter than the circumference.