Length contraction and the expansion of the universe.

In summary, the laws of physics apply in all non-accelerating frames of reference, but objects may appear different depending on the observer's state of motion. The universe is also considered homogeneous on a slice of constant time in the unique rest frame defined by the cosmic microwave background. The expansion of space creates a limit to the size of our observable universe, with objects further away becoming causally disconnected due to their superluminal velocity. However, this causal structure remains invariant regardless of an observer's state of motion.
mrspeedybob
Start with the following 3 statements...

1. If I were traveling through the cosmos at high velocity relative to the CMB I should observe the distances between stars and galaxies to be length contracted in the direction of my motion, but not in directions perpendicular to my travel.

2. The same laws of physics apply in all non-accelerating frames of reference

3. The universe, on large scales, in homogeneous (cosmological principal)

How can all 3 of these statements be true? Any 2 are compatible, but I can't see how all 3 can be true at the same time?

Secondly, I understand there is a limit to the size of our observable universe caused by the expansion of space. Objects further away are causally disconnected from us because they are receding from us at superluminal velocity. If I am traveling at high relativistic speed would I measure a different Hubble constant in my direction of travel then I would perpendicular to my direction of travel, essentially flattening my observable universe into a squished sphere? Or, would my universe still be spherical and regions which would otherwise be causally disconnected become connected due to my velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames, but the objects you see may appear different. The big bang cosmology we live in defines a unique rest frame at each point, namely the frame in which the cosmic microwave background is the same in all directions. An observer moving with respect to this frame will see the background redshifted in one direction and blueshifted in the other. When we say the universe is homogeneous, we mean it is homogeneous on a slice of constant time in this rest frame. Since it is expanding, it is obviously not homogeneous in time. Nor is it homogeneous in any other rest frame.

mrspeedybob said:
Secondly, I understand there is a limit to the size of our observable universe caused by the expansion of space. Objects further away are causally disconnected from us because they are receding from us at superluminal velocity. If I am traveling at high relativistic speed would I measure a different Hubble constant in my direction of travel then I would perpendicular to my direction of travel, essentially flattening my observable universe into a squished sphere? Or, would my universe still be spherical and regions which would otherwise be causally disconnected become connected due to my velocity?

The causal structure of spacetime (which events are causally connected or disconnected to which other events) is invariant; it does not depend on your state of motion. The universe would *appear* to you to be squashed if you were traveling at high relativistic speed relative to the CMBR, but that would not change which parts of the universe could send signals to you and which could not. (The signals might appear redshifted or blueshifted relative to what they would look like if you were at rest relative to the CMBR.)

1. What is length contraction and how does it relate to the expansion of the universe?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. The expansion of the universe is a concept in cosmology that describes the ongoing increase of the distance between distant objects in the universe. Length contraction is related to the expansion of the universe as it helps us understand how the perceived size of objects may change as they move away from each other due to the expansion of space.

2. How does the theory of relativity explain the concept of length contraction?

The theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, explains length contraction as a consequence of the constant speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. As an object moves at high speeds, its length in the direction of motion appears to decrease due to the time dilation effect, which causes time to slow down for the moving object. This is known as the Lorentz contraction and is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity.

3. How does the expansion of the universe affect the measurement of distances in space?

The expansion of the universe affects the measurement of distances in space by causing the distance between objects to increase over time. This means that the observed distances between galaxies, for example, will be greater than the actual physical distance due to the expansion of the space between them. This is taken into account when measuring distances in the universe and is an important factor in understanding the large-scale structure of the universe.

4. Can objects within our own galaxy experience length contraction or is it only observed in objects moving at high speeds?

Objects within our own galaxy can also experience length contraction, but the effect is much smaller compared to objects moving at high speeds. This is because the speeds of objects within our galaxy are relatively slow compared to the speed of light, so the time dilation effect is minimal. However, in extreme cases such as near the speed of light, even objects within our galaxy can experience noticeable length contraction.

5. How does the expansion of the universe affect the measurement of time?

The expansion of the universe does not directly affect the measurement of time. However, it can indirectly affect the measurement of time through the time dilation effect. As objects move away from each other due to the expansion of the universe, the time it takes for light to travel between them increases. This means that time appears to pass slower for objects that are further away from us, as observed from our perspective. This effect is important in understanding the perceived age of the universe and the concept of cosmic time.