1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of a curve

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    Find the length of the curve y=(e^x+e^-x)/2 from x=0 to x=ln4.
    [tex] \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx}e^x + \frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx}e^{-x}= \frac{1}{2}(e^x-e^{-x}) \\ [/tex].
    Therefore [tex] (\frac{dy}{dx})^2=\frac{1}{4}(e^x-e^{-x})\\[/tex] Therefore [tex] 1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2=\frac{1}{4}(e^{2x} -2e^xe^{-x}+e^{-2x}+4)^\frac{1}{2}\\ [/tex].
    Therefore [tex] \int_0^{ln4}\frac{1}{2}(e^{2x}-2e^xe^{-x}+e^{-2x}+4)^\frac{1}{2}dx[/tex]. Do I solve this by substitution by letting [tex] u^2 = e^{2x}-2e^xe^{-x}+e{-2x}+4[/tex]? Or what way should I approach it? Using the said substitution I get the following integral: [tex] \int u^2 \frac{1}{e^{2x}-e^{-2x}}du[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It will be a far simpler problem if you use the fact that [tex]\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}=\cosh x[/tex]. Have you encountered hyperbolic functions?

4. Feb 20, 2007 #3
    No I haven't encountered hyperbolic functions yet. They are two more chaphers away yet.Thanks for the help.

5. Feb 20, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, all you need to know for this question is that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\cosh x=\sinh x , \hspace{1cm} \frac{d}{dx}\sinh x=\cosh x[/tex] and the identity [tex]\cosh^2x-\sinh^2x=1[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  6. Feb 22, 2007 #5
    You said it would be a far simpler problem to use the fact that [tex] \frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}=coshx[/tex]. Does that imply that it can still be done without the hyperbolic function method. If it does I would like to see the other longer way of solving this integral, please. Thanks.

7. Feb 22, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\int_0^{ln4}\frac{1}{2}(e^{2x}-2e^xe^{-x}+e^{-2x}+4)^\frac{1}{2}dx[/tex]

Start here. e^x*e^(-x)=1, right?

8. Feb 22, 2007 #7
    Yes, I got as far as [tex]\int u^2\frac{1}{e^{x}-e^{-x}}du[/tex] but I cannot express [tex] e^x-e^{-x}[/tex] in terms of u.

9. Feb 22, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then back up. It's much simpler than you are making it out to be. I'm trying to get you to notice that the expression inside of the (1/2) power in my last posting is a PERFECT SQUARE.

10. Feb 22, 2007 #9
    Yes, But what property of a perfect square am I to notice?

11. Feb 22, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sqrt(a^2)=a. Simplify the integral before you start substituting.

12. Feb 22, 2007 #11
    [tex] \frac{1}{4}\int_0^{In4}((e^x + e^{-x}})^2)^\frac{1}{2}dx[/tex], is the integral to be solved.

13. Feb 22, 2007 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. So you can eliminate the exponents and, voila, you don't need a substitution.

14. Feb 22, 2007 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PS. You have an extra factor of (1/2) in there.

15. Feb 22, 2007 #14
    Thanks very much Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?