Calculate the Length of a Curve: y=(e^x+e^-x)/2 from x=0 to x=ln4

In summary: No, I got as far as \int u^2\frac{1}{e^{x}-e^{-x}}du but I cannot express e^x-e^{-x} in terms of u.Then back up. It's much simpler than you are making it out to be. I'm trying to get you to notice that the expression inside of the (1/2) power in my last posting is a PERFECT SQUARE.Yes, But what property of a perfect square am I to notice?That sqrt(a^2)=a. Simplify the integral before you start substituting.\frac{1}{4}\int_0^{In4}((e^x + e^{
John O' Meara
Find the length of the curve y=(e^x+e^-x)/2 from x=0 to x=ln4.
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx}e^x + \frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx}e^{-x}= \frac{1}{2}(e^x-e^{-x}) \\ [/tex].
Therefore [tex] (\frac{dy}{dx})^2=\frac{1}{4}(e^x-e^{-x})\\[/tex] Therefore [tex] 1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2=\frac{1}{4}(e^{2x} -2e^xe^{-x}+e^{-2x}+4)^\frac{1}{2}\\ [/tex].
Therefore [tex] \int_0^{ln4}\frac{1}{2}(e^{2x}-2e^xe^{-x}+e^{-2x}+4)^\frac{1}{2}dx[/tex]. Do I solve this by substitution by letting [tex] u^2 = e^{2x}-2e^xe^{-x}+e{-2x}+4[/tex]? Or what way should I approach it? Using the said substitution I get the following integral: [tex] \int u^2 \frac{1}{e^{2x}-e^{-2x}}du[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be a far simpler problem if you use the fact that [tex]\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}=\cosh x[/tex]. Have you encountered hyperbolic functions?

No I haven't encountered hyperbolic functions yet. They are two more chaphers away yet.Thanks for the help.

John O' Meara said:
No I haven't encountered hyperbolic functions yet. They are two more chaphers away yet.Thanks for the help.

Well, all you need to know for this question is that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\cosh x=\sinh x , \hspace{1cm} \frac{d}{dx}\sinh x=\cosh x[/tex] and the identity [tex]\cosh^2x-\sinh^2x=1[/tex]

Last edited:
You said it would be a far simpler problem to use the fact that [tex] \frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}=coshx[/tex]. Does that imply that it can still be done without the hyperbolic function method. If it does I would like to see the other longer way of solving this integral, please. Thanks.

[tex]\int_0^{ln4}\frac{1}{2}(e^{2x}-2e^xe^{-x}+e^{-2x}+4)^\frac{1}{2}dx[/tex]

Start here. e^x*e^(-x)=1, right?

Yes, I got as far as [tex]\int u^2\frac{1}{e^{x}-e^{-x}}du[/tex] but I cannot express [tex] e^x-e^{-x}[/tex] in terms of u.

Then back up. It's much simpler than you are making it out to be. I'm trying to get you to notice that the expression inside of the (1/2) power in my last posting is a PERFECT SQUARE.

Yes, But what property of a perfect square am I to notice?

That sqrt(a^2)=a. Simplify the integral before you start substituting.

[tex] \frac{1}{4}\int_0^{In4}((e^x + e^{-x}})^2)^\frac{1}{2}dx[/tex], is the integral to be solved.

Yes. So you can eliminate the exponents and, voila, you don't need a substitution.

PS. You have an extra factor of (1/2) in there.

Thanks very much Dick.

Related to Calculate the Length of a Curve: y=(e^x+e^-x)/2 from x=0 to x=ln4

1. What is the formula for calculating the length of a curve?

The formula for calculating the length of a curve is:
L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx
This formula is also known as the arc length formula.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for calculating the length of a curve?

The limits of integration for calculating the length of a curve are the x-values between which the curve is being measured. In this case, the limits are x=0 and x=ln4.

3. What is the significance of the curve y=(e^x+e^-x)/2 in this problem?

The curve y=(e^x+e^-x)/2 represents a symmetrical curve that is commonly known as a hyperbolic cosine or "cosh" curve. It is used in this problem to demonstrate the process of calculating the length of a curve.

4. How do I calculate the derivative (dy/dx) for this curve?

The derivative (dy/dx) for the curve y=(e^x+e^-x)/2 can be found using the power rule and chain rule. The derivative is:
(dy/dx) = (1/2)e^x - (1/2)e^-x.

5. What is the final answer for the length of the curve y=(e^x+e^-x)/2 from x=0 to x=ln4?

The final answer for the length of the curve y=(e^x+e^-x)/2 from x=0 to x=ln4 is approximately 5.183 units. This can be calculated by plugging in the values into the arc length formula and solving the integral.