Length of a plate after roll forging?

In summary: Kalpakjian 6.3 gives the following equations:a) True strain = UTS x (b) Average flow stress = (New UTS - Old UTS)/(Number of revolutions)c) Average flow stress in plain strain = (New UTS - Old UTS) / (Number of revolutions)d) Appearing roll forces = (New UTS - Old UTS) x (Number of revolutions)e) Power needed for this plate thickness reduction = (New UTS - Old UTS) x (Number of revolutions)f) Length of the plate after the rolling process = (New UTS - Old UTS)
Powolski
Hello,

I'm new here. so I hope I posted this question in the right section. For this problem, I have to compute a couple of parameters:

An Aluminum plate (7075-O) (length 10 [m], thickness 10 [mm], width 40 [cm]) is
reduced in thickness from 10 to 9,5 [mm]. The radius of the rolls is 25 [cm], number of
revolutions = 10 [rev/min]
Calculate with formulas Kalpakjian 6.3, the following parameters:
a) True strain
b) Average flow stress
c) Average flow stress in plain strain
d) Appearing roll forces
e) Power needed for this plate thickness reduction
f) Length of the plate after the rolling process

I have already computed a, b, d and e. My first question is what do they mean with plain strain (question c)?
My answer to B is 240MPA, after I found out that the UTS of Aluminium (7075-O) is 228MPA. But what is exactly the difference between question b and c?

Second question is about f). I might be very simple, but I don't see how to calculate the length of the plate after the rolling process.

Hope you guys could give me something to start with.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's not 'plane' strain?

I think they mean plane strain indeed, probably a typo

Plain strain refers to a 2 dimensional state of strain (as opposed to three dimensional). This is the common way to describe rolling problems, saying that there is no strain in the roll axial direction, so that strain is only along the sheet and perpendicular to the sheet.

I'm curious about this question: when the sheet is squeezed by the rolls both the 40 cm and 10 meter sizes would expand by the same percentage right?

so the final length should be the 10 meters plus the added percentage minus the percentage added to the width right?

dragoneyes001, no, the 40 cm dimension hardly changes at all. This is the significance of plane strain; there is no strain (no elongation) in the direction of the roll axis.

thx

Related to Length of a plate after roll forging?

1. How does roll forging affect the length of a plate?

Roll forging involves repeatedly passing a metal plate between two or more rotating rolls under high pressure. This process can cause the length of the plate to increase or decrease depending on the direction of the rolls and the properties of the metal being forged.

2. What factors can impact the final length of a plate after roll forging?

The final length of a plate after roll forging can be affected by several factors, including the initial length and thickness of the plate, the temperature and speed of the rolls, and the amount of pressure applied during the forging process.

3. Is it possible to control the length of a plate during roll forging?

Yes, it is possible to control the length of a plate during roll forging by adjusting the speed, pressure, and temperature of the rolls. This allows for precise shaping and sizing of the plate according to the desired dimensions.

4. Can the length of a plate be increased or decreased through roll forging?

Yes, the length of a plate can be increased or decreased through roll forging, depending on the direction of the rolls and the properties of the metal being forged. This allows for versatility in the manufacturing process and the ability to produce plates of varying lengths.

5. Are there any limitations to the length of a plate that can be produced through roll forging?

The length of a plate that can be produced through roll forging is limited by the size and capabilities of the rolling equipment. However, with advancements in technology, larger and longer plates can now be produced through roll forging compared to traditional forging methods.