1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of Parametric curve

1. May 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the length of the curve with parametric equations x = t^3, y = t^3, z = t^4, 0<=t<=3. Round to the 3 decimals place.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

virst i found the magnitide.. ||v|| = (4t^2 + 9t^4 + 16t^6)^1/2

i tool the integral from 0 to 3 of ||v||dt and i got 86.628 did i do this correctly

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2009 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

I didn't get the same expression for ||v|| as you did. Where did 4t^2 and 9t^4 come from?

4. May 5, 2009 #3
    well according to my book distance traveled is the integral from a to b of ||v(t)|dt
    where ||v|| = sqrt((dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 + (dz/dt)^2)

(dx/dt)^2 = (2t)^2 = 4t^2
    (dy/dt)^2 = 3t^2)^2 = 9t^4
    (dz/dt)^2 = 4t^3)^2 = 16t^6

5. May 5, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

The components x and y are the same, then how can the derivative with respect to the same variable differ? [tex]x=t^3 \Rightarrow \frac{dt^3}{dt}=?[/tex]?

Did you type out the wrong problem by any chance, should it be x=t^2?

6. May 6, 2009 #5
    ya thats a typo sorry

x = t2

7. May 7, 2009 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well, so could you get the answer after that?

8. May 7, 2009 #7
    x = t^2, y = t^3, z = t^4, 0<=t<=3. Round to the 3 decimals place.

where ||v|| = sqrt((dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 + (dz/dt)^2)

(dx/dt)^2 = (2t)^2 = 4t^2
    (dy/dt)^2 = 3t^2)^2 = 9t^4
    (dz/dt)^2 = 4t^3)^2 = 16t^6

first i found the magnitide.. ||v|| = (4t^2 + 9t^4 + 16t^6)^1/2

i took the integral from 0 to 3 of ||v||dt and i got 86.628 did i do this correctly

9. May 8, 2009 #8

Defennder

Homework Helper

It would help if you told us how you got that. The closed form expression of the integral looks very messy, and since the question said to "estimate" rather than give an exact answer some form of approximation must be involved.

10. May 8, 2009 #9
    according to my book, length of a curve is

Length of C = [tex]\int\sqrt{(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 + (dz/dt)^2}[/tex] dt from a to b

x = t^2, y = t^3, z = t^4, 0 <t<3

Length of C = [tex]\int\sqrt{(2t)^2 + (3t^2)^2 + (4t^3)^2}[/tex] dt from 0 to 3

Length of C = [tex]\int\sqrt{(4t)^2 + (9t^4) + (16t^6)}[/tex] dt from 0 to 3

i pluged it into my calculator and got 86.628

the problem says to round to three decimals. So im not really sure how i am suppose to approximate something that percise. But all the same, is there somethign wrong with what i did

11. May 9, 2009 #10

Defennder

Homework Helper

You mean all you did was enter that definite integral into your calculator and have it work the answer out for you? I'm not sure if that calculator you're using would be allowed in your exams, but right up to the point where you got the definite integral everything seems to be all right.

12. May 9, 2009 #11
    ya we are allowed to use them,

but are u saying my calc gave me the wrong answer or just that ur not sure if i should be using it or not

13. May 9, 2009 #12

Defennder

Homework Helper

I'm not saying that your calculator is wrong. It's probably correct if you entered the integrand properly. It's just that doing so may not be what the question had in mind.

14. May 11, 2009 #13
    Ya i was thinking maybe that is why it is worded to estimate it.

But i assume that the integral can be intigrated and would give a deffinite answer anyways.

15. May 11, 2009 #14

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note, first term should be (4t2)

I get the same answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook