What is the relationship between the length and height of a cable?

In summary, the length and height of a cable are directly related to each other. The longer the cable, the higher it can be suspended without sagging. This is due to the tension in the cable, which increases as the length increases. However, the height of a cable also affects its maximum length, as taller cables require stronger and more expensive materials to support their weight. Therefore, there is a trade-off between the length and height of a cable, with longer cables needing greater height and stronger materials, while shorter cables can have less height and use less material.
nea_nemesis
Hi, everybody, I really hope you can help me out with this one.

I work for an outdoor facility, and we were just replacing our zip cable. Due to major safty issues, we need to get it at the exact height it used to be at, and that's kind of tough.

After a few trial-error sessions, we managed to get it within inches, but now it's down to details. I know that pulling about a foot (~30cm) on the end of the cable changes the height of it for about 2,5 feet (70-80cm). Since we're talking galvanized aircraft cable here, you understand why I want a formula before we fit it for two more inches in height...

The cable is about 200 yards (~200m) long I'd say. I can get exact (or close to exact) measurements, probably the weight of the cable, tension and such things, but I don't have them now.

Physics news on Phys.org
nea_nemesis said:
Hi, everybody, I really hope you can help me out with this one.

I work for an outdoor facility, and we were just replacing our zip cable. Due to major safty issues, we need to get it at the exact height it used to be at, and that's kind of tough.

After a few trial-error sessions, we managed to get it within inches, but now it's down to details. I know that pulling about a foot (~30cm) on the end of the cable changes the height of it for about 2,5 feet (70-80cm). Since we're talking galvanized aircraft cable here, you understand why I want a formula before we fit it for two more inches in height...

The cable is about 200 yards (~200m) long I'd say. I can get exact (or close to exact) measurements, probably the weight of the cable, tension and such things, but I don't have them now.

Why don't you just use a turnbuckle?

berkeman said:
Why don't you just use a turnbuckle?

What's a turnbuckle? (non-native English speaker over here...)

nea_nemesis said:
What's a turnbuckle? (non-native English speaker over here...)

It's an in-line device commonly used to adjust the length and/or the tension in a cable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnbuckle

The two screws on the ends of the turnbuckle have opposite threads, so that turning the center portion pulls them in or pushes them out.

Because the anchoring system is different (looped cable with a thimble locked in place with serving sleeves, clipped into a rapid link that's attached to an eye-bolt).
So the adjustable part is the piece of cable that goes through the thimble and back into a serving sleeve, and that's a hassle to loosen and tighten.

1. What is the difference between length and height of a cable?

Length refers to the distance between two points of a cable, while height refers to the vertical measurement of the cable from the ground or base.

2. Does the length or height of a cable affect its performance?

Yes, the length and height of a cable can affect its performance. Longer cables can experience signal loss and degradation, while taller cables can be more prone to sagging and potential damage.

3. Is there a maximum length or height for a cable?

Yes, there are recommended maximum lengths and heights for different types of cables, as exceeding these limits can negatively impact performance and safety.

4. How do I measure the length and height of a cable?

The length of a cable can be measured with a measuring tape or ruler, while the height can be measured with a tape measure or by physically measuring the distance from the ground to the highest point of the cable.

5. Can the length and height of a cable be adjusted?

In most cases, the length and height of a cable cannot be adjusted once it has been installed. However, in some cases, cable management techniques such as bundling and routing can help manage the length and height of cables.