Parametric Curves and Length Calculation: Exploring the Use of u-Substitution

In summary, a parametric curve is a mathematical representation of a curve using one or more parameters. The length of a parametric curve can be found using the arc length formula, which involves integrating the magnitude of the derivative of the curve with respect to the parameter. The parameter in a parametric curve represents the independent variable that determines the position of the curve, and the length of a parametric curve is always positive. However, there are limitations to calculating the length of a parametric curve, such as non-smooth curves or curves with infinite length.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

x = t^3, y = (3t^2)/2 0<= t <= √3

The Attempt at a Solution

dx/dt = 3t^2
dy/dt = 3t

step 1. √((3t^2)^2 + (3t)^2)

step 2. 3t^2 + 3t

(the book says I can't do that, I don't see why)

step 3. insert √3 into t

Here's the books solution

Screenshot2012-02-04at82009PM.png

I understand u substitution but I don't see why it's necessary here. I don't why my method does not follow all the rules.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because ##\sqrt{a^2+b^2} \ne a+b##. Try it with a=b=1, for instance.

1. What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a mathematical representation of a curve in terms of one or more parameters. It is commonly used to describe curves in space or curves that are not easily described by a single equation.

2. How do you find the length of a parametric curve?

The length of a parametric curve can be found using the arc length formula, which involves integrating the magnitude of the derivative of the curve with respect to the parameter. This formula can be simplified for certain types of curves, such as circles or straight lines.

3. What is the significance of the parameter in a parametric curve?

The parameter in a parametric curve represents the independent variable that determines the position of the curve. By varying the parameter, the curve can be traced out and its properties, such as length, can be calculated.

4. Can the length of a parametric curve be negative?

No, the length of a parametric curve is always positive. This is because the arc length formula involves taking the absolute value of the derivative of the curve, which ensures that the length is always positive.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the length of a parametric curve?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the length of a parametric curve. For example, if the curve is not smooth and has sharp corners or cusps, the arc length formula may not be applicable. Additionally, some parametric curves may have infinite length, making it impossible to calculate their length using traditional methods.