Lens that will make the rays parallel to each other

In summary, the person is looking for a lens that can make rays parallel to each other and have a focal point at infinity with minimal loss in intensity. They mention a collimator lens, but don't want to sacrifice intensity. The solution is to use a lens with a focal point at infinity, also known as a window. The person is trying to achieve this with the output from a parabolic antenna and a beam angle of 10-15 degrees. They suggest using two lenses, with the second one placed at a distance of f1+f2 from the first. They also mention that the frequency they are using is microwave and that electromagnetic waves have similar properties to light.
kishushah
i need a lens that will make the rays parallel to each other & focal point at infinite.without much loss in the intensity.collimator lens kind of action but not at the cost of intensity.

Science news on Phys.org

Very easy. A lens with a focal point at infinity is called a window.

See the fig(attachment).I want to achieve this(shown in fig).

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 363

That's just a normal lens, ray lines are independent of the direction of light.

I didn't realize collimators had any loss of intensity, are you using laser light or just a point source?

That's just a normal lens, ray lines are independent of the direction of light.
i am not getting this.

Its not laser light it is the output from a parabolic antenna.with the beam angle of about 10-15degree.

I 'm not sure i fully understood your question but you try using two lenses.
The 1st (focal length f1) to focus the light at a point and the 2nd (focal length f2) to get a parallel ray output.
The 2nd lens must be placed with its focal length at the focus point of the 1st i.e., at a distance f1+f2 from the 1st.

What frequency are we talking about?

microwave.have heard somewhere all the emwaves have the same properties as light.parabolic antenna is an example of that,as reflection of radio-microwaves is observed here just like light.

1. How does a lens make rays parallel to each other?

A lens works by bending and refracting light rays as they pass through it. The shape and curvature of the lens determine how much the rays are bent. In the case of a lens that makes rays parallel, the curvature of the lens is such that it causes the light rays to converge and then become parallel as they pass through the lens.

2. What is the purpose of a lens that makes rays parallel?

This type of lens is used to correct for spherical aberration, which is a common problem in lenses that causes distortion and blurring of images. By making the light rays parallel, the lens ensures that they all reach the same focal point, resulting in a clear and sharp image.

3. How is a lens that makes rays parallel different from a regular lens?

A regular lens has a curved surface that causes light rays to bend and converge at a focal point. In contrast, a lens that makes rays parallel has a flatter surface that causes the rays to become parallel instead of converging. This type of lens is also known as a collimating lens.

4. What types of applications require a lens that makes rays parallel?

This type of lens is commonly used in laser systems, telescopes, and other optical instruments. It is also used in photography and cinematography to correct for spherical aberration and produce sharper images. Additionally, some medical and scientific equipment may use this type of lens for precise focusing and imaging.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a lens that makes rays parallel?

One limitation is that this type of lens only works for parallel light rays, so it is not suitable for all applications. Additionally, the lens must be carefully designed and manufactured to achieve the desired parallelism, which can be a complex and expensive process. Also, the lens may introduce some distortion or loss of image quality due to the bending of light rays.