1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lenses and optics: solving for focal point.

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    Lenses and optics: solving for focal point. (SOLVED)

(2 points, penalty of 0.5)
    When a flower pot is placed 1.2 meters on the left of a magnifying glass (converging lens), an image is formed on a screen 0.37 meters to the right of the lens. Find the focal length of the lens. Give your answer ...

* in terms of meters. Do not include units in your answer. They will be assumed to be meters.
    * to a precision of hundreths of a meter. Use a format like #.## in your answer.
    * to an accuracy of 0.02 m. Answers within 0.02 meters of the correct answer will be tolerated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know that with a converging lens, the focal point value will be positive.
    I started with the basic equation
    1/f = 1/do + 1/di

1/f = 1/1.2m +1/.37m
    f = .833333333m + 2.7027m

f = 3.536 m
    -------------------------
    I entered this value and it counted it as incorrect. can somebody please tell me what i'm doing wrong? i would appreciate it. thanks ! :redface:http://moodle.oakwood.k12.oh.us/file.php/72/Unit_13_quiz_images/quiz13q3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

f = 3.536 m
    This should be
    1/f = 3.536

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook