Lenses and optics: solving for focal point.

In summary, we are solving for the focal length of a converging lens by using the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di. The result is 3.536 meters with a precision of hundreths of a meter and an accuracy of 0.02 meters.
ilovedeathcab
Lenses and optics: solving for focal point. (SOLVED)

(2 points, penalty of 0.5)
When a flower pot is placed 1.2 meters on the left of a magnifying glass (converging lens), an image is formed on a screen 0.37 meters to the right of the lens. Find the focal length of the lens. Give your answer ...

* in terms of meters. Do not include units in your answer. They will be assumed to be meters.
* to a precision of hundreths of a meter. Use a format like #.## in your answer.
* to an accuracy of 0.02 m. Answers within 0.02 meters of the correct answer will be tolerated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know that with a converging lens, the focal point value will be positive.
I started with the basic equation
1/f = 1/do + 1/di

1/f = 1/1.2m +1/.37m
f = .833333333m + 2.7027m

f = 3.536 m
-------------------------
I entered this value and it counted it as incorrect. can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? i would appreciate it. thanks ! :redface:http://moodle.oakwood.k12.oh.us/file.php/72/Unit_13_quiz_images/quiz13q3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
f = 3.536 m
This should be
1/f = 3.536

Hello, it seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation. The correct equation to use is 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. In this case, the object distance is 1.2 meters and the image distance is 0.37 meters. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

1/f = 1/1.2 + 1/0.37
1/f = 0.833 + 2.703
1/f = 3.536
f = 1/3.536
f = 0.283 meters

Therefore, the focal length of the lens is 0.283 meters, or 28.3 centimeters. Please double check your calculations and make sure to use the correct equation when solving for focal point. Keep up the good work in your studies of lenses and optics!

Related to Lenses and optics: solving for focal point.

1. What is a focal point?

A focal point is the point at which light rays converge or appear to diverge after passing through a lens or reflecting off a mirror. It is also known as the focus.

2. How is the focal point determined?

The focal point is determined by the shape and curvature of the lens or mirror, as well as the distance between the object and the lens or mirror. It can be calculated using the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the distance from the object to the lens, and di is the distance from the lens to the image.

3. What is the relationship between the focal point and the object distance?

The focal point and the object distance are inversely related. This means that as the object distance increases, the focal point moves closer to the lens or mirror, and vice versa.

4. Can the focal point be outside of the lens or mirror?

Yes, in some cases the focal point can be outside of the lens or mirror. This is known as a virtual focal point and occurs when the light rays appear to diverge after passing through the lens or reflecting off the mirror.

5. How is the focal point used in optics?

The focal point is an important concept in optics as it determines the position and size of the image formed by a lens or mirror. It is also used in calculations for magnification, image distance, and other optical properties.