Exploring Eddy Currents & Lenz's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses an example of Lenz's Law where a magnet is dropped inside a copper tube and the tube acts as a brake due to induced emf and eddy currents. It is mentioned that the magnet will still fall slowly even with no external force present, and the output velocity of the magnet will depend on the length of the tube. The interpretation that the tube will also move rightwards as it acts as a brake is confirmed.
Student149

Homework Statement

In one of the most common examples of Lenz's Law a magnet is dropped inside a copper tube and due the induced emf and the eddy currents generated in the copper tube the magnet falls through it with constant velocity. The external force that the eddy currents oppose is obviously the acceleration due to gravity. So, the tube acts like a brake.

I have a simple doubt:

If the magnet travels towards a copper tube from left side (tube is at rest w.r.t. our reference frame), with a constant initial velocity v0 (with no external force i.e. no acceleration due to gravity present) I assume the magnet will still 'fall' slowly due to eddy currents (since even with 0 acceleration there is still motion w.r.t. the tube).
  1. But, how would the output velocity change when the magnet emerges from the other end of the tube?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told that the magnet would come to rest w.r.t. the tube if the tube is long enough. So, I assume we can tailor the length of the copper tube appropriately. This in turn would change the relative velocity of the tube and magnet w.r.t. to each other (when the magnet emerges from right side of the tube)?

Is the above interpretation correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Student149 said:
So, I assume we can tailor the length of the copper tube appropriately. This in turn would change the relative velocity of the tube and magnet w.r.t. to each other (when the magnet emerges from right side of the tube)?

Is the above interpretation correct?
Yes. Either you make the tube small enough or you make v0 high enough so that the magnet won't come to rest inside the tube.

cnh1995 said:
Yes. Either you make the tube small enough or you make v0 high enough so that the magnet won't come to rest inside the tube.

Thank you [Dr. Cooper :) ].

cnh1995 said:

One more follow up. If I am correct the tube would also move rightwards as it acts as a classical brake or barrier?

Student149 said:
If I am correct the tube would also move rightwards
Yes. That would reduce the relative velocity between the two. It is consistent with the principle of Lenz's law.

What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electrical currents that are induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How do eddy currents affect conductors?

Eddy currents can cause a conductor to experience resistance and produce heat, which can lead to energy loss and inefficiency in electrical systems.

What is Lenz's law?

Lenz's law states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in magnetic field that caused it.

How does Lenz's law relate to eddy currents?

Eddy currents follow Lenz's law, meaning that they will always flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the original magnetic field.

What are some practical applications of exploring eddy currents and Lenz's law?

Eddy currents and Lenz's law are important concepts in the design and functioning of various electrical devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. They are also utilized in non-destructive testing techniques, such as eddy current testing, to detect flaws in conductive materials.