Let's suppose that both sequences are convergent

In summary, the statement given is false. A counter example is given to show that the statement does not hold in general. The confusion in understanding the statement may come from the false assumption that if a sequence is convergent, it must converge towards 0. However, this is not always the case. The theorem about series does not apply to this question as it is about sequences, not series. And finally, there are divergent series that go to 0, so the statement does not hold for series either.
DivGradCurl
Consider the following statement:

If [tex] \left\{ a_n \right\} [/tex] and [tex] \left\{ b_n \right\} [/tex] are divergent, then [tex] \left\{ a_n b_n \right\} [/tex] is divergent.

I need to decide whether it is true or false, and explain why. The real problem is that I checked the answer in my book; it's false, but I don't understand it. Here is what I think:

Let's suppose that both sequences are convergent. Then, it follows that

[tex] \lim _{n\to \infty} a_n \cdot \lim _{n\to \infty} a_n = \lim _{n\to \infty} \left( a_n b_n \right) \tag{1} [/tex]​

But, the truth is that both are divergent. So, [tex] \lim _{n\to \infty} a_n \neq 0 [/tex] and [tex] \lim _{n\to \infty} b_n \neq 0 [/tex]. If neither is zero, then how can [tex] \lim _{n\to \infty} \left( a_n b_n \right) = 0[/tex] (so that the statement is false)? It doesn't sound reasonable if you consider (1).

Can anybody please help me clarify this?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a sequence is convergent, it doesn't decessarily means it converges towards 0, like you seemed to be implying in your post.

To decide wheter the proposition it's true or false, a simple counter exemple suffice. Consider [itex]a_n = (-1)^n[/itex] and [itex]b_n = (-1)^n[/itex]. These are both divergent series because when n is pair, [itex]a_n = 1[/itex] and when n is odd [itex]a_n = -1[/itex], such that the limit is dependent upon n ==> it is not unique ==> it doesn't exist ==> the sequences diverge. But [itex]a_n b_n = (-1)^{2n} = 1 \ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] is a sequence that converges towards 1.

Or take [itex]a_n = (-1)^n[/itex] and [itex]b_n = (-1)^n+1[/itex]. Then [itex]a_n b_n = (-1)^{2n+1} = -1 \ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], which converges towards -1.

Last edited:
N.B. But in the case where [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]b_n[/itex] are divergent because they increase or decrease without limit (i.e. because their limit is plus or minus infinity), then it is true that [itex]a_n b_n[/itex] is also a divergent sequence.

Oh... I see what you mean. I thought that way because I had in mind the theorem that says that when a series is convergent, the terms go to 0. It doesn't apply in this case, since we only have sequences. Thanks.

I see, so it isn't true in general.

thiago_j said:
Consider the following statement:

If [tex] \left\{ a_n \right\} [/tex] and [tex] \left\{ b_n \right\} [/tex] are divergent, then [tex] \left\{ a_n b_n \right\} [/tex] is divergent.

I need to decide whether it is true or false, and explain why. The real problem is that I checked the answer in my book; it's false, but I don't understand it. Here is what I think:

The following is a problem step:
Let's suppose that both sequences are convergent.
The hypothesis is that both sequences are divergent, not convergent, so this thought does not apply to this question in any useful way.

For example, [itex]a_n=b_n=(-1)^n[/itex] are two divergent sequences, but [itex]\{a_nb_n\}[/itex] is constant, so it clearly converges.

By the way, the theorem about series on indicates that terms in a convergent series go to zero. There are divergent series that go to zero like the harmonic series:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{i}[/tex]
And, since
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{i^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]
is convergent, the above is false for series as well as sequences.

What does it mean for two sequences to be convergent?

Convergence of a sequence refers to the behavior of its terms as the number of terms increases. If the terms of a sequence approach a single fixed value as the sequence progresses, then the sequence is said to converge.

How can I determine if two sequences are convergent?

A common method for determining convergence is to analyze the limit of the sequence as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the sequence is convergent.

What happens if two sequences are both divergent?

If two sequences are both divergent, it means that the terms of the sequences do not approach a single fixed value as the sequence progresses. Instead, the terms may approach infinity or fluctuate between multiple values.

Can two convergent sequences have different limits?

Yes, two convergent sequences can have different limits. This means that even though both sequences approach a fixed value, that value may be different for each sequence.

What is the significance of two sequences being convergent?

Convergent sequences have many applications in mathematics and science. They are used to model real-world phenomena and are essential in calculus, where they are used to define important concepts such as limits and continuity.