Level of water rising in a cone.

• Thread starter Shawn Garsed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone Water
In summary: Thanks for the help, it makes so much more sense now. In summary, the problem involves a right circular cone being filled with water at a rate of 5 cu in./sec. The goal is to find the rate at which the water level is rising when the cone is half full. By using similar triangles, the relationship between the instantaneous radius of the water surface and the height of the water can be found. This allows the volume of water, expressed in terms of the height, to be differentiated to find the rate of change of the height with respect to time. The final step is to find the value of the height when the cone is half full and plug it into the equation to solve for the rate of change of
Shawn Garsed

Homework Statement

A right circular cone with radius r and height h is being filled with water at the rate of 5 cu in./sec. How fast is the level of the water rising when the cone is half full.

Homework Equations

V=r2h∏/3

The Attempt at a Solution

V=5t. The level of the water is determined by h, so I need the find the derivative of h. h=15t/∏r2, but I'm pretty sure that's not right because r is not a constant, it depends on h. That's where I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like some info is missing in the problem. For instance, if we knew the relationship between r and h, then we can rewrite r in terms of h and get rid of the r. Can you double check and make sure you have the entire problem?

That's what I was thinking too. Here's the question in it's entirety:
"A cup in the form of a right circular cone with radius r and height h is being filled with water at the rate of 5 cu in./sec. How fast is the level of the water rising when the volume of the water is equal to one half the volume of the cup?"

Find r in term of h.

How can I do that if I don't know the angle between h and the slant height.

Here's my (attempted) solution given the information I have.
r=htanθ, θ is the angle between h and the slant height.
V=5t=tan2θh3∏/3, therefore h=(15t/∏tan2θ)1/3
and h'=(5/∏tan2θ)*(∏tan2θ/15t)2/3.
When the cup is half full t=tan2h3∏/30 and
h'=5*41/3/(∏tan2θh2).

Last edited:
It is correct if you add the parentheses, but you can replace tanθ=r/h and get the result in the given radius of the cone.

ehild

Last edited:
Consider the cone (or at least the cross-section of it) on the x-y plane, such that the point is at the origin and the open end is at x=h, y=-r to +r.

For any x (from 0 to h), you know:

y = ?

V = ?

dV/dt = ? (this will involve a dx/dt term) - and you know this equals 5

So you want dx/dt, where x solves V(x)=(∏r2h/3)/2

I'm not sure if this is the simplest way, but that's how I'd approach it.

(Hope I'm right!)

Shawn Garsed said:

Homework Statement

A right circular cone with radius r and height h is being filled with water at the rate of 5 cu in./sec. How fast is the level of the water rising when the cone is half full.

Homework Equations

V=r2h∏/3

The Attempt at a Solution

V=5t. The level of the water is determined by h, so I need the find the derivative of h. h=15t/∏r2, but I'm pretty sure that's not right because r is not a constant, it depends on h. That's where I'm stuck.

I would normally prefer to let the constant dimensions of the cone be represented by the big letters, but I'm stuck because the problem used small letters. Never mind.

Let R = R(t) and H = H(t) represent the instantaneous radius of the circular surface of the water and the instantaneous height of the water above the vertex, respectively.

Use similar triangles to determine the relationship between R and H in terms of the constant radius r and height h of the conical container. You don't need trig.

Once that's done, use [itex]V = \frac{1}{3}{\pi}R^2H[/itex] to find an expression for V = V(t) in terms of R and H. That represents the instantaneous volume of water at time t. Use the previously derived relationship between R and H to express V only in terms of H. In other words, you now have V as a function of H, i.e. V = f(H).

Now find [itex]\frac{dV}{dH}[/itex]. By Chain Rule, you know that [itex]\frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{dV}{dH}.\frac{dH}{dt}[/itex], so [itex]\frac{dH}{dt} = \frac{\frac{dV}{dt}}{\frac{dV}{dH}}[/itex]. Put the expression for [itex]\frac{dV}{dH}[/itex] into the denominator, so that there will be a H term in the RHS of the equation.

You're already given [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex] (constant at 5 cu in/sec.), so all you need now is to find the value of H (using V = f(H)) when the cone is half full (i.e. the volume of water is half the volume of the container), put it all into the last equation and compute.

Shawn Garsed said:
Here's my (attempted) solution given the information I have.
r=htanθ, θ is the angle between h and the slant height.
V=5t=tan2θh3∏/3, therefore h=(15t/∏tan2θ)1/3
and h'=(5/∏tan2θ)*(∏tan2θ/15t)2/3.
When the cup is half full t=tan2h3∏/30 and
h'=5*41/3/∏tan2θh2.

It needs some parentheses: h'=5*41/3/(∏tan2θh2)

Have you all got different result from that of the OP? I think it is correct.

ehild

@Curious3141 How would you relate r to h without using trig, cause I see no other way, though I could be missing something.

@ehild You're right I forgot some parentheses. Fixed it.

Shawn Garsed said:
@Curious3141 How would you relate r to h without using trig, cause I see no other way, though I could be missing something.

I'm using big R and big H for the "water cone" and small r and small h for the conical container. Of course, the dimensions of the latter are bigger.

Sketch a vertical cross-section through the middle of the cone. The container will be an isosceles triangle made up of two identical adjacent right triangles. The shape of the water will just be a scaled down version of the same, made up of two smaller identical right triangles. Can you see this?

Then, by similar triangles, R/H = r/h. That's it.

I see what you mean, R then equals Hh/r which eliminates the need for the angle θ. I kept getting confused because there are two values for both the radius and the height, one is a constant and the other is a variable.

Shawn Garsed said:
I see what you mean, R then equals Hh/r

That should be [itex]R = \frac{rH}{h}[/itex].

I kept getting confused because there are two values for both the radius and the height, one is a constant and the other is a variable.

Which is why I prefer to use the small letters for the variables and the big letters for the constants. If we did this, then [itex]r \leq R[/itex] and [itex]h \leq H[/itex], where the small letters refer to the variables describing the water, and the big ones the constants describing the cone. I think you'll find this far more natural.

Unfortunately, the question used small letters for the cone, so we have to make do with the opposite arrangement.

Shawn Garsed said:
Similar triangles. If the cone has radius R and height H, then the radius, r, of the circular top of water that fills the cone to height h satisfies r/h= R/H because they are "corresponding parts of similar triangles".

@Curious3141 Once again you're right. I really need to get some sleep.

Thanks for the help guys.

ehild said:
Have you all got different result from that of the OP? I think it is correct.
Hi ehild,

Yes, I think we're all singing from the same hymn sheet. :smile:

Related to Level of water rising in a cone.

1. How does the level of water rise in a cone?

The level of water in a cone will rise due to the cone's shape, which allows for an increase in volume as the water moves higher up the sides of the cone.

2. What factors affect the level of water rising in a cone?

The level of water rising in a cone is affected by the size and shape of the cone, as well as the amount and rate of water being poured into the cone.

3. Does the material of the cone affect the level of water rising?

Yes, the material of the cone can affect the level of water rising. A cone made of a porous material, such as paper, may absorb some of the water and affect the overall level.

4. Is the level of water rising the same for all cones?

No, the level of water rising can vary depending on the size and shape of the cone. A wider cone will have a larger surface area and therefore a larger level of water rising compared to a narrower cone with a smaller surface area.

5. Can the level of water rising in a cone be used to measure volume?

Yes, the level of water rising in a cone can be used to estimate the volume of the cone. By measuring the height of the water level, the volume of the cone can be calculated using the formula for the volume of a cone.