L'Hopital's Rule: Solving Homework Statement

In summary, the problem involves finding the limit as x approaches 0 of the expression 5x(cos 9x-1)/sin 5x-5x. After multiple applications of L'Hopital's Rule, it is determined that the limit is equal to 0, as long as the denominator is not also 0.
Nope

Homework Statement

lim x->0
5x(cos 9x-1)/sin 5x-5x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

answer is 243/25
The derivative of sin 5x-5x is always 0,
dunno know how to do it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it sin(5x-5x) or sin(5x)-5x? The first one seems like a trivial way to express an equation and would result in 0 anyway, making the original equation undefined.

I'm not sure, it's an assignment from the internet,
it should be sin(5x-5x) , cause it ask you to use L'Hopital's Rule
sin(0)=0

Has to be

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{5x(\cos(9x) - 1)}{\sin(5x) - 5x}[/tex]

OP the derivative of [tex]5x(\cos(9x) - 1)[/tex] is

[tex]5\cos(9x) - 5 - 45x \sin(9x)[/tex]

and the derivative of [tex]\sin(5x) - 5x[/tex] is

[tex]5\cos(5x) - 5[/tex]

Know how to proceed from here?

You'd use the rule if you got a 0 in the denominator after plugging in the limit of x, not if it were 0 to begin with. An equation with a 0 in the denominator would always have a 0 in the denominator no matter how many times you applied the rule.

Last edited:
Inirit said:
You'd use the rule if you got a 0 in the denominator after plugging in the limit of x, not if it were 0 to begin with. An equation over 0 would always be over 0 no matter how many times you differentiate it.

Not quite...

An equation over zero is undefined.

x/0 is not equal to zero.

Edit: Actually I think you meant if you differentiate zero you get zero...

Deadstar said:
Edit: Actually I think you meant if you differentiate zero you get zero...

Yes, that's what I meant, but I see that I worded it incorrectly before. To explain a little better, though, I meant that if you applied the rule to an equation over 0 (f(x)/0), it would still be over 0 no matter how many times you differentiated the top and bottom.

[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{5x(\cos(9x) - 1)}{\sin(5x) - 5x}
[/tex]
I tried
After the second derivative, the denominator is still zero...
-25sin(5x)

What's to stop you from differentiating a third time? Without the extra factor, it looks like the denominator would turn into a function of cosine, which wouldn't give you zero when you plug in zero.

Differentiate again and it will work.

ok ty, I will do it later, I have class now

I differentiated like 5 times, I still got 0..
I notice that there is always a x*cos(9x) in the nominator...which make whole thing equal to 0..

Yes, there is nothing at all wrong with getting "0" in the numerator. As long as the denominator is not also 0, that just tells you that the limit is 0.

Nope said:
I differentiated like 5 times, I still got 0..
I notice that there is always a x*cos(9x) in the nominator...which make whole thing equal to 0..

Then you've made a mistake somewhere, can get messy at times.

First derivatives.

[tex]\frac{5 \cos(9x) - 5 - 45x\sin(9x)}{5\cos(5x) - 5}[/tex]

Second one

[tex]\frac{90 \sin(9x) + 405x\cos(9x)}{25\sin(5x)}[/tex]

third one[tex]\frac{1215 \cos(9x) + 3645x\sin(9x)}{125\cos(5x)}[/tex]

Now sub in x = 0

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule and when is it used?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms. It can be used when the numerator and denominator of a fraction both approach 0 or ∞, or when the limit of a function involves an undefined expression such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.

2. How does L'Hopital's Rule work?

L'Hopital's Rule states that if the limit of a function f(x)/g(x) is an indeterminate form, then the limit of the derivative of f(x) divided by the derivative of g(x) will be the same as the original limit. In other words, we can solve the limit by taking the derivatives of both the numerator and denominator and evaluating the new fraction.

3. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for all limits?

No, L'Hopital's Rule can only be used when the limit of a function is in indeterminate form. If the limit is not in indeterminate form, then the rule cannot be applied.

4. What are some common mistakes when using L'Hopital's Rule?

One common mistake is using the rule when it is not applicable, as mentioned in the previous question. Another mistake is not simplifying the new fraction after taking the derivatives, which can lead to incorrect results. It is also important to check that the derivatives exist at the point where the limit is being evaluated.

5. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used to solve all types of problems?

No, L'Hopital's Rule is specifically used to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms. It cannot be used to solve other types of problems, such as finding the minimum or maximum value of a function.