1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie Bracket

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1
    Could someone check if I have done this right.

[tex]R_1 = x^2\partial_3 - x^3\partial_2[/tex]
    [tex]R_2 = x^3\partial_1 - x^1\partial_3[/tex]
    [tex]R_3 = x^1\partial_2 - x^2\partial_1[/tex]

Where [itex]x^i[/itex] are coordinates.

I need to calculate the commutator [itex][R_1,R_2][/itex].

[tex][R_1,R_2] = x^2\partial_3x^3\partial_1 - x^3\partial_1x^2\partial_3 + x^3\partial_2x^1\partial_3 - x^1\partial_3x^3\partial_2
    - (x^3\partial_2x^3\partial_1-x^3\partial_1x^3\partial_2) - (x^2\partial_3x^1\partial_3-x^1\partial_3x^2\partial_3)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    .\quad\quad\quad = x^2x^3\partial_3\partial_1 - x^2x^3\partial_1\partial_3 + x^1x^3\partial_2\partial_3-x^1x^3\partial_2\partial_3
    - x^3x^3\partial_2\partial_1 + x^3x^3\partial_1\partial_2-x^1x^2\partial_3\partial_3+x^1x^2\partial_3\partial_3
    [/tex]
    [tex].\quad\quad\quad = x^2\partial_1-x^2\partial_1+x^1\partial_2-x^1\partial_2 -x^3x^3\partial_2\partial_1 + x^3x^3\partial_1\partial_2 - x^1x^2\partial_3\partial_3 + x^1x^2\partial_3\partial_3
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    .\quad\quad\quad = 0
    [/tex]

And as a result,

[tex][R_1,R_2] = [R_2,R_3] = [R_3,R_1] = 0[/tex]

by cyclically permuting the indices.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you're wrong...Check the angular momentum so(3) algebra...

Daniel.

4. Mar 9, 2006 #3
    You're right. But I dont know where I went wrong. I would have expected

[tex][R_1,R_2] = R_3[/itex]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  5. Mar 9, 2006 #4
    I think my problem is evaluating the differentials. Here is an example of what Im doing in a simpler problem.

let [itex]A=\partial_x[/itex], [itex]B=\partial_y[/itex], and [itex]C=x\partial_y-y\partial_x[/itex].

Im going to compute [itex][A,C][/itex] and let me know if Ive done something wrong...

[tex][A,C] = [\partial_x,x\partial_y-y\partial_x][/tex]
    [tex]= \partial_x(x\partial_y - y\partial_x)-(x\partial_y-y\partial_x)\partial_x[/tex]
    [tex]= \partial_xx\partial_y-\partial_xy\partial_x - x\partial_y\partial_x+y\partial_x\partial_x[/tex]

Now Im pretty sure [itex]\partial_xx = 1[/itex] so the first term is [itex]\partial_y[/itex].

The second term [itex]\partial_xy\partial_x = \partial_x\partial_xy[/itex] since the partial derivatives commute. The second term equals the fourth term so they cancel.

This leaves the third term. [itex]x\partial_y\partial_x=\partial_y(\partial_xx) = \partial_y(1) = 0[/itex]

So I would say the answer is

[tex][A,C] = \partial_y = B[/itex]

how does this look?

6. Mar 9, 2006 #5
    To be honest I dont think Ive done this right at all.

My basic question is what does

[tex]\partial_yy\partial_x[/tex]

equal? And is it the same thing as

[tex]y\partial_x\partial_y[/tex]

EDIT: Could

[tex]\partial_yy\partial_x = \partial_y(y)\partial_x + y\partial_x\partial_y[/tex]?

If this calculation is right could someone tell me how.

7. Mar 9, 2006 #6
    What [tex]\partial_yy\partial_x[/tex] means depends on how you are applying the [tex]\partial_y[/tex]. From a commutator, for example:
    [tex] [\partial_y, y\partial_x] = \partial_y(y\partial_x)-y\partial_x(\partial_y)[/tex]
    In this case the y operator acts on the whole expression so you use the product rule.

-Dan

8. Mar 14, 2006 #7
    Ah, of course! So in fact

[tex][R_1,R_2] = -R_3[/tex]

and...

[tex][R_2,R_3] = -R_1[/tex]
    [tex][R_3,R_1] = -R_2[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?