X.Calculating the Lie Derivative of a One-Form with Respect to a Vector Field

XIn summary, the conversation is about calculating the Lie derivative of a one-form with respect to a vector field. The given example is a one-form \omega = 3 dx_1 + 4x dx_2 and a vector field X = 7x \frac{\partial }{\partial x_1} + 2 \frac{\partial }{\partial x_2}. The person is seeking input and clarification on which "x" is being referred to in the example. They also mention having a formula for computing lie derivatives of one forms, but lacking the confidence to give an exact solution. They question why there is no response on the forum and suggest that the question may be too simple.
rick1138
I'd like an example of calculating the Lie derivative of a one-form with respect to a vector field, for example, the one-form

[tex]
\omega = 3 dx_1 + 4x dx_2
[/tex]

with the vector field

[tex]
X = 7x \frac{\partial }{\partial x_1} + 2 \frac{\partial }{\partial x_2}
[/tex]

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i am also one waiting for a reply to this post
i have the formula to compute lie derivatives of one forms but not enough self-confidence to give an exact soln .actually i also did not understand which x do you talk about when saying 4xdx_2
i think here in this forum people have enough knowledge to answer but i could not understand why there is no reply .Is it too simple to answer?

Last edited:
^No, it doesn't make any sense until an index is put on the "x" in the vector and the 1-form. After that, as you say, just use your formula for Lw

1. What is a Lie Derivative of a One-Form?

The Lie derivative of a one-form is a mathematical operation that describes how a one-form (a differential form of degree 1) changes along a given vector field. It measures the rate of change of the one-form in the direction of the vector field.

2. How is the Lie Derivative of a One-Form calculated?

The Lie derivative of a one-form is calculated using the Lie derivative operator, denoted as LX, where X is the vector field. It involves taking the directional derivative of the one-form with respect to the vector field and then subtracting the contraction of the exterior derivative of the one-form with the vector field.

3. What is the significance of the Lie Derivative of a One-Form?

The Lie derivative of a one-form is significant in differential geometry, as it helps describe the behavior of geometric objects under transformations. It is also used in the study of Lie groups and Lie algebras, which have applications in physics, particularly in the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. What are the properties of the Lie Derivative of a One-Form?

Some key properties of the Lie derivative of a one-form include linearity, the Leibniz rule, and its relationship with the exterior derivative. It also has a commutative property with the Lie bracket, which is the operation used to define Lie derivatives.

5. How is the Lie Derivative of a One-Form used in practical applications?

The Lie derivative of a one-form has various practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity, among others. It also has applications in control theory and optimization problems.