Life in Vastly Different Universes

• Thread starter Krunchyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of life existing in universes with different physical constants and the necessity of stars for the creation of complex elements. The speaker believes that it is possible for life to exist in such universes, although it would be vastly different from life in our own universe. However, they argue that without stars, it is unlikely that life could arise due to the lack of energy sources and the limited number of elements that would form. The topic of detecting other universes is also briefly mentioned, with the speaker acknowledging that it may be impossible to do so.
Krunchyman
I have two questions: I have often heard physicists such as Victor J. Stenger argue that life could evolve and thrive in universes with physical constants vastly different than our own. I am curious to know what kind of universes these physicists propose. Can physical constants counterbalance each other to form stable universes i.e. weak gravity being countered by a stronger value of other forces?

Secondly, are stars necessary for the creation of complex elements which will form the backbone of life? Consider a universe where instead of stars forming, the only structure that forms is a molecular cloud filled with gas or plasma. Here, gravity is strong enough for molecules to bind but stars do not form or are very weak. The only molecules that exist are hydrogen, helium and perhaps a few other elements such as carbon. Despite this, self-replicating molecules form from the sheer number of atoms interacting with each other over time. Are life-harboring universes such as this conceivable?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Krunchyman!

Two really good questions. It's hard to give a definite answer, because we are talking about a completely new universe we have no experience with, but I'll give it a try

I think it's entirely possible that a universe with slightly different physical constants could still harbor life. No doubt, this life would be significantly different. If you alter the strength of the electromagnetic force, or nuclear force, for example, the atoms in this universe will look completely different from those in our universe, but there is no reason to think that these new atoms and elements would necessarily be incapable of creating life like the ones in our universe did. Certainly, one relationship between constants that should be most important to life is the balance between gravity and the nuclear force. I feel as though nuclear fusing stars are essential to life, as they are the power plants of energy in the universe, and also responsible for the diversity of elements. It's hard to imagine life arising in a universe where stars cannot ignite.

This brings me to the second question, I don't think what you're proposing is possible. In our own universe, the heaviest element created in the Big Bang was Lithium. We had Hydrogen (its isotope Deuterium), Helium and Lithium, but no Carbon. These elements certainly collected in molecular clouds to form the first stars, but in a universe where ignition is not possible, no other elements would be formed. There are really very few chemical possibilites, as helium is inert, and hydrogen and lithium can form Lithium hydrite, LiH, and we can get Dihydrogen, H2, but that's about it. No other elements will ever form. Now, the creation of this other universe could be very different, in that its formation could have resulted in the creation of many more, heavier elements that could bond to create life, but as I mentioned before, without energy from stars, it's doubtful anything could have arose. Imagine how planets and atmospheres would also be different. If there were life, it would be vastly different from what we have on Earth.

The question does not generate much interest so long as there is no evidence other universes actually exist. It is, of course, interesting to discuss possible ways to detect other universes. A paper to this effect shows up on arxiv once in a great while. This, however, may turn out to be impossible.

1. What is the concept of "life in vastly different universes"?

The concept of "life in vastly different universes" refers to the idea that there could be other universes or dimensions that have vastly different physical laws, properties, and conditions compared to our own universe. This means that life in these universes could be drastically different from what we know on Earth.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of vastly different universes?

Currently, there is no concrete scientific evidence for the existence of vastly different universes. However, some theories in physics, such as string theory and the multiverse theory, suggest the possibility of other universes with different properties and conditions. These theories are still being researched and debated within the scientific community.

3. Could life exist in vastly different universes?

It is possible that life could exist in vastly different universes, but it would likely be very different from life as we know it on Earth. Life is thought to be dependent on specific physical laws and conditions, so in other universes with different laws and conditions, life would likely take on different forms or have different requirements for survival.

4. How would we communicate with life in vastly different universes?

Communicating with life in vastly different universes would be a complex and challenging task. Since the laws of physics and the structure of the universe can vary, it is difficult to predict how communication would work. It is possible that we would need to develop new technologies or methods of communication to bridge the gap between vastly different universes.

5. What impact could the discovery of vastly different universes have on our understanding of life?

The discovery of vastly different universes could have a significant impact on our understanding of life. It could challenge our current beliefs and theories about the origins and evolution of life, as well as our place in the universe. It could also open up new possibilities and avenues for scientific research and exploration. However, until we have more concrete evidence, the impact of vastly different universes on our understanding of life remains purely speculative.