Can Light Curve Space-Time and Create a Gravity Well?

In summary: However, as the universe continued to expand, the radiation faded and matter became the dominant form of energy. This caused the gravity to decrease, until it finally disappeared in the late universe.In summary, photons contribute very little to the curvature of spacetime, and it's unclear if this has ever been measured in a sensitive way. However, light does play a role in the evolution of the universe, and radiation-dominated cosmology is an interesting topic to consider.
mdj
I have a question that has been bugging me since my Special relativity course... (uhm that would be two years now...)
We all know that matter produces a gravitywell that bends light. That has been shown lots of times, in fact astrophysics would be a bit dull if that didn't happen... But how about the other way around? Can light curve space-time? and create a gravity well?
If so has it been detected? how much would all those cute little photons "in-transit" between stars contribute to the space-time curvature? I guess that has all long been thought of (could be ironic though if dark matter turned out to be light :biggrin: )

Anyway, would someone please enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the energy in a photon does curve spacetime, although really not very much :). The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy_tensor" on the right-hand side of Einstein's equation [itex]G_{\mu\nu}=8\pi T_{\mu\nu}[/itex] describes how the existence and flow of both matter and energy curve spacetime. I have no idea if this has ever been measured, although I would have to guess not due to how little a photon would actually bend spacetime and how short a time it would stay in anyone place. Perhaps a laser would have enough of an effect in a really sensitive lab setup...

Last edited by a moderator:
mdj said:
I have a question that has been bugging me since my Special relativity course... (uhm that would be two years now...)
We all know that matter produces a gravitywell that bends light. That has been shown lots of times, in fact astrophysics would be a bit dull if that didn't happen... But how about the other way around? Can light curve space-time? and create a gravity well?
If so has it been detected? how much would all those cute little photons "in-transit" between stars contribute to the space-time curvature? I guess that has all long been thought of (could be ironic though if dark matter turned out to be light :biggrin: )

Anyway, would someone please enlighten me?

There's no question that light contributes to the stress-energy tensor, and hence gravitation.

Quantifying how much is a bit tricky. You might take a look at

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=116769

This gives some results for what happens if you have a "box" of light, which is a simple static case.

The detailed results for this case are not particularly intuitve, because pressure causes gravity.

You might also want to check out the "radiation dominated" era of cosmology. In the early history of the universe, cosmology was dominated by radiation - most of the gravity in the universe was due to "light".

1. Can light really curve space-time?

Yes, according to the theory of general relativity, massive objects can bend the fabric of space-time, and this includes light. In fact, the bending of light by massive objects, such as stars or galaxies, is one of the key pieces of evidence for the theory of relativity.

2. How does light curve space-time?

In the theory of general relativity, mass and energy are considered to be two forms of the same thing. Since light has energy, it also has mass. When light passes near a massive object, such as a star, its path will be curved due to the effect of the object's gravity on its mass.

3. Can light create a gravity well?

Yes, light can create a gravity well. In fact, any form of energy can create a gravity well according to the theory of general relativity. However, the gravity well created by light would be very small and weak compared to the gravity wells created by massive objects like stars or planets.

4. Is the gravity well created by light strong enough to affect objects?

No, the gravity well created by light is very weak and only has a significant effect on particles that are moving at very high speeds, such as photons. For slower-moving objects, the effect of the gravity well created by light is negligible.

5. Can we observe the effect of light curving space-time?

Yes, we can observe the effect of light curving space-time through a phenomenon known as gravitational lensing. This is when the path of light from a distant object is bent by the gravity well of a massive object in between, causing the object to appear distorted or magnified to an observer on Earth.