Calculating Current Through a 100W Light Bulb

In summary, based on the given information, the potential difference of the regular electrical outlet is assumed to be 110V for the U.S. Using the formula P=IV, the current (in A) that would go through the light bulb is 0.91A. It is suggested to use online sources for faster answers rather than waiting for a response.
phy112

Homework Statement

light bulb rated 100Watts. How much current (in A) would go through the light bulb if it were plugged into the regular electrical outlet?

Homework Equations

P=IV

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure what the potential difference is..

Physics news on Phys.org

The potential difference, also known as voltage, is typically 120 volts in a regular electrical outlet in the United States. Using the equation P=IV, we can rearrange it to solve for current (I) by dividing both sides by voltage (V). This gives us I=P/V. Plugging in the given power of 100 watts and voltage of 120 volts, we get I=100/120=0.83 amps. Therefore, the current through the light bulb would be approximately 0.83 amps if it were plugged into a regular electrical outlet. It is important to note that this is an ideal calculation and may vary slightly in real-world situations due to factors such as resistance in the circuit.

What is the formula for calculating current through a 100W light bulb?

The formula for calculating current (I) through a 100W light bulb is I = P/V, where P represents power (in watts) and V represents voltage (in volts).

What is the voltage required for a 100W light bulb?

The voltage required for a 100W light bulb can be calculated by rearranging the formula V = P/I, where V represents voltage (in volts), P represents power (in watts), and I represents current (in amps).

How much current does a 100W light bulb draw?

A 100W light bulb draws approximately 0.83 amps of current. This can be calculated by dividing 100W by the standard US household voltage of 120V.

Can I use a 100W light bulb on a lower voltage circuit?

No, a 100W light bulb is designed to be used on a 120V circuit. Using it on a lower voltage circuit may result in the bulb not producing its full brightness or potentially causing damage to the circuit.

What is the maximum current that a 100W light bulb can handle?

The maximum current that a 100W light bulb can handle is approximately 0.83 amps, as this is the amount of current it draws when operating at its rated 100 watts. Exceeding this current limit may cause the bulb to overheat and potentially burn out.