Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light dispersion through a window glass

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Light gets dispersed into different colors in a window glass, just like in a glass prism, but the different colors exit the glass at the same angle. We cant see this phenomenon in a glass window because the distance between the different color lightrays is too small for our eyes to detect, or am I wrong?
    If Im not wrong, should we be able to see the phenomenon if we took an enough thick piece of flat glass?

Thanks in advance,
    fawk3s

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Without being an optics expert I would say your idea is correct. The light should disperse upon entry into the medium and upon exit it would be bent back to its original angle but shifted slightly. I'll see if I can test this somehow if I remember to, I have a red and a green laser I can use.

4. May 30, 2012 #3
    Thanks, I would very much appreciate it. :smile:

5. May 30, 2012 #4
    For example, take a glass plate with a thickness of 10 mm thick. The index of refraction is 1.51 for red, 1.52 for blue. The angle of incidence is 45 degrees. Use Snell's law. The difference for the exit points of red and blue is 0,05 mm. That is hard to detect.

Now take an aquarium with a 'thickness' of 300 mm. The index of refraction is 1.331 for red, 1.343 for blue. The angle of incidence is 45 degrees. The difference for the exit points of red and blue is 3 mm. It should be possible to observe that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook