Light Interference Wave Equation - Assumption

In summary: The trick with time averaging square trig-functions is to choose your interval carefully - if you let T be any integer number of quarter cycles, the average will make sense easily. I usually pick a singe period for T.
elemis

Homework Statement

yyi6scl2cn6c9au4g.jpg

Homework Equations

In question.

The Attempt at a Solution

To be clear it's part (vi) that's unclear to me.

In order to ignore the cosine term it has to reduce to 1. This can happen, only if k(x1+x2)/2 = ωt

Is this a correct assumption ?

Also, it is known that k = 2∏/λ and ω=2∏/T

However, I'm trying to think in what way these two components could be equal but I can't get it.

Could someone give me some help, please ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a long exposure, you average y^2 over time - the constant phase in the cosine does not matter for the average.

mfb said:
For a long exposure, you average y^2 over time - the constant phase in the cosine does not matter for the average.

I really don't understand what you mean. Could you please break it down for me ?

I really do appreciate you taking the time out to help me.

A photograph collects light over a period of time.
The lightness in the photo depends on the intensity of the incoming light and the time of the exposure.

He's telling you to find y^2, then average it over time.
This gives you a function of position alone - which will be what the photograph shows.
When you do this - the terms you are worried about will cancel out.

Do you know what y=?
Do you know how to square a function?
Do you know how to average a function?

Simon Bridge said:
A photograph collects light over a period of time.
The lightness in the photo depends on the intensity of the incoming light and the time of the exposure.

He's telling you to find y^2, then average it over time.
This gives you a function of position alone - which will be what the photograph shows.
When you do this - the terms you are worried about will cancel out.

Do you know what y=?
Do you know how to square a function?
Do you know how to average a function?

I can do the first two but not the last one. How do I average a function over time ?

EDIT: Why do I need to find y^2 ? Is it because intensity is directly proportional to Amplitude^2 ?

Did you read the links? The second one tells how to handle the average of a periodic function - what does it say to do?

Simon Bridge said:
Did you read the links? The second one tells how to handle the average of a periodic function - what does it say to do?

I've carried out the steps for the time average for cos2x for limits 0 to T.

I've gotten : [itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex][[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]T+[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]sin2T]

What do I choose to be T in this case ? Infinity ?

But it is not exactly cos2x that you have to average is it? x(t)=?

The trick with time averaging square trig-functions is to choose your interval carefully - if you let T be any integer number of quarter cycles, the average will make sense easily. I usually pick a singe period for T.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/math/defint.html (3rd panel down)

1. What is the Light Interference Wave Equation?

The Light Interference Wave Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of light waves when they interact with each other. It is based on the principle of superposition, which states that when two or more waves meet, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves.

2. What assumptions are made when using the Light Interference Wave Equation?

The Light Interference Wave Equation assumes that the light waves are coherent, meaning they have the same frequency, wavelength, and phase. It also assumes that the waves are traveling in the same medium and that they do not interact with any other external factors.

3. How is the Light Interference Wave Equation used in science?

The Light Interference Wave Equation is used in many areas of science, including optics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. It helps scientists understand and predict the behavior of light waves in different situations, such as in diffraction, interference, and polarization.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Light Interference Wave Equation?

The Light Interference Wave Equation has many practical applications, including in the design of optical instruments such as microscopes, telescopes, and lasers. It is also used in the telecommunications industry to transmit and receive data through fiber optic cables.

5. Are there any limitations to the Light Interference Wave Equation?

While the Light Interference Wave Equation is a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of light waves, it does have its limitations. It does not account for certain phenomena, such as the non-linear behavior of light in some materials, and it cannot fully explain the wave-particle duality of light in quantum mechanics.