Light and Mass: Exploring the Photovoltaic Effect

In summary, the conversation revolved around whether or not light has mass. The lower sixth student argued that the uncertainty principle and the bending of light by gravity suggest that light must have mass. However, the physics teacher's response was that light is only energy until it interacts with something and then it converts to mass. The student was struggling to understand the concept of pure energy and sought clarification on the matter. Eventually, the student was able to comprehend the concept after consulting additional resources.
David_Harkin
I am a lower sixth student and i got into an argument with my physics teacher today when we were talking about the photovoltec effect and he said that light has no mass. I have a very small understanding of the subject compared to him but from what i do understand the uncertainty principle states that light can change the momenteum of something and so it must have mass to have momentium. Also i know that gravity can bend light and this also points out that it must have a mass. His response was that light is just energy until it hits something and then it changes its energy to mass.
I cannot grasp the concept of something existing of pure energy i was wondering if somebody could shed some light on this. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I recall a new addition to the FAQ regarding this a few days ago. Here's the link: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1285138&postcount=6

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, i understand it now.

1. What is the photovoltaic effect?

The photovoltaic effect is the process by which light energy is converted into electrical energy. It occurs within certain materials, such as silicon, when photons from light collide with electrons in the material, causing them to be released and create a flow of electricity.

2. How does the photovoltaic effect work?

The photovoltaic effect works by utilizing the properties of semiconducting materials, such as silicon, which have a specific arrangement of atoms that allows them to absorb light energy and release electrons. When light hits the material, it excites the electrons, causing them to move and create an electric current.

3. What is the role of mass in the photovoltaic effect?

The role of mass in the photovoltaic effect is to provide the necessary material for the process to occur. Without a solid material, such as silicon, there would be nothing for the photons to interact with and no electricity would be generated. The mass of the material also affects the efficiency of the photovoltaic effect.

4. How is the photovoltaic effect used in solar panels?

The photovoltaic effect is used in solar panels by incorporating layers of semiconducting material, usually silicon, into the panels. When sunlight hits the panel, the photovoltaic effect converts the light energy into electrical energy, which can then be used to power homes, buildings, or other devices.

5. What are the potential applications of the photovoltaic effect?

The potential applications of the photovoltaic effect are vast and include solar power systems, portable electronic devices, and even space exploration. As technology advances and the efficiency of the photovoltaic effect improves, it has the potential to greatly reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and provide a sustainable source of energy.