Light Speed Question: How Can 2 Light Particles Approach Each Other at 1xC?

In summary, when two light particles approach each other, they do so with a relative speed of 2c in any standard reference system, but this is not the case when using different reference systems due to the velocity transformation formula in special relativity. This formula is necessary because light is not composed of particles and therefore does not follow the normal addition rule for velocities.
fpayam82
Theres something I don't understand.

Assume we have two light particles that approach each other. (obviously with light speed)
Logically since each of them are traveling with the speed of light they should approch to each other with 2xC, but according to relativity theory they approach with1xC.

How is this possible ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, you can't really define the relative speed of one photon to the other, because it is not in an inertial frame. In every inertial frame, both photons appear to travel at speed c.

ok, but you did understand my question.
I you turn your flash light towards me and I do towards you how fast do the two light beems reach each other ?
1xC or 2xC ? I guess 1xC, but why ?

You see the distance between the two light beams to be decreasing at a speed c: If the distance between the photons if x, then you see dx/dt=c.

In special relativity the velocity addition formula isn't just v1+v2=v3

smithhs said:
You see the distance between the two light beams to be decreasing at a speed c: If the distance between the photons if x, then you see dx/dt=c.

In special relativity the velocity addition formula isn't just v1+v2=v3

You would see the distance between the beams decreasing at speed 2c. If you put a particle in between the beams, you would see one beam of light approach that particle at c, and the other approach from the opposite direction at c, and therefore the distance between the two light beams must be decreasing at 2c (in YOUR frame of reference).

The OP is asking for "in the frame of reference of a photon", which doesn't exist.

A better question would be if 2 elementary particles are approaching each other at .9999c, what speed would one see the other move at. The answer is very close to c, and not close to 2c.

I know in special relativity the velocity addition formula isn't just v1+v2=v3 .
But what I fail to understand is why ??
How come that V1+V2 is not V3 if V1 and V2 are traveling at light speed.

fpayam82 said:
Theres something I don't understand.

Assume we have two light particles that approach each other. (obviously with light speed)
Logically since each of them are traveling with the speed of light they should approch to each other with 2xC, but according to relativity theory they approach with1xC.

How is this possible ?

Your logic is perfectly correct. The essential point of relativity theory is that the speed of light is c as determined with any standard reference system. Consequently, according to relativity theory two light rays in opposite direction will approach each other at 2c, as measured with any standard reference system. And this was well understood from the very start; for example Einstein phrased it as follows for a light ray relative to a moving object:
the ray moves relatively to the initial point of k, when measured in the stationary system, with the velocity c-v
- http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/

Note that light is not really "particles" as light has no rest mass and relativity models light as waves; thus "wave packets" comes closer to the standard meaning of words.

fpayam82 said:
I know in special relativity the velocity addition formula isn't just v1+v2=v3 .
But what I fail to understand is why ??
How come that V1+V2 is not V3 if V1 and V2 are traveling at light speed.

When using a single reference system, the normal addition rule applies. However, when you add velocities that are measured with different reference systems then you need the "velocity addition formula" - which is a misnomer, for it is in fact a velocity transformation formula.
It's like with financial transactions: as long as you use the same currency you may use the normal addition rule, but when you add dollars to euros then you should use a currency converter equation. :tongue2:

1. How is light speed measured?

Light speed is measured in a vacuum and is defined as 299,792,458 meters per second. This measurement is often referred to as the speed of light in a vacuum and is denoted by the symbol "c".

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, making it harder and harder to accelerate. As a result, it would take an infinite amount of energy to make an object travel at the speed of light, making it impossible to exceed this speed.

3. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space as both a wave and a particle, known as a photon. The wave-like nature of light allows it to propagate through space, while the particle-like nature enables it to interact with matter and be detected by our eyes and other instruments.

4. Can two light particles approach each other at the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, two light particles (photons) cannot approach each other at the speed of light. This is because photons have no mass and can only travel at the speed of light. As a result, they cannot accelerate towards each other.

5. What happens when an object approaches the speed of light?

As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and time slows down. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and is a fundamental principle of Einstein's theory of relativity. This means that for an outside observer, time appears to be passing slower for an object traveling at high speeds. Additionally, the length of the object will also appear to shorten in the direction of travel, a concept known as length contraction.