Light travelling through differing mediums

• Thread starter fmdk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, when light traveling in water reaches an interface with air, the angle it will make when traveling in air can be determined using Snell's law, which takes into account the different speeds of light in different mediums.
fmdk
If light traveling in water hits an interface with air at angle x, what is the angle it will make when traveling in air?

what factors do i need to consider for this apart from:

different lights travel at different speeds

different mediums will affect angle of incidence

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing you're looking for is probably called "Snell's law" (named after a Dutch scientist with the fancy Latin name Snellius):
[tex] \frac{\sin \theta_1}{\sin \theta_2} = \frac{c_1}{c_2} = \frac{n_2}{n_1} [/tex]
where [itex]n_i = c / c_i[/itex] and [itex]c_i[/itex] is the speed of light in medium i (and c in vacuum).

Related to Light travelling through differing mediums

1. How does the speed of light change when it travels through different mediums?

The speed of light changes when it travels through different mediums due to the varying density and composition of the medium. Light travels slower in denser mediums, such as water or glass, compared to less dense mediums like air. This is because the particles in the medium interact with the light and slow it down.

2. Does the direction of light change when it travels through different mediums?

Yes, the direction of light changes when it travels through different mediums. This phenomenon is known as refraction. When light enters a medium at an angle, it changes direction due to the change in speed. This is why objects appear to be distorted when viewed through a glass of water.

3. What is the relationship between the refractive index and the speed of light in a medium?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a medium can slow down light. The higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light in that medium. This relationship is described by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums.

4. Can light travel through all mediums?

No, light cannot travel through all mediums. For example, light cannot travel through opaque objects like walls or metals because the particles in these materials do not allow light to pass through them. However, light can travel through transparent or translucent mediums such as air, water, and glass.

5. How does the color of light change when it travels through different mediums?

The color of light does not change when it travels through different mediums. However, the intensity of the light may change due to absorption or scattering by the particles in the medium. This can result in a change in the perceived color of the light, but the actual color remains the same.