Light vs Light: What Does it Look Like?

• Thread starter Alex48674
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, Right please bear with me on this, as I have only had 8th grade science for this =]. According to relativity, when we talk about the speed of A relative to B, what we really mean is A's speed in the inertial rest frame of B. And light simply doesn't have its own inertial rest frame in relativity, the Lorentz transformation gives infinities if you try to plug in v=c.
Alex48674
Right please bear with me on this, as I have only had 8th grade science for this =].

Right so I understand that no matter how fast you are moving light always travels at the same speed relative to you. So for example if you (A) were in a race with someone (B) and B was running at the speed of light relative to an observer (C) he would also be running at the speed of light relative to A. So B would look like light to A and C (as the converse would also be true I believe) and A would look like a blur to C (he is a fast runner =])

A->B... light
A->C... Blur
B->A... light
B->C... light
C->A... Blur
C->B... light (I'm not sure if relative rest to light would look like light to light, so correct me on this please)

So when something looks like light relative to to another thing it seems to shoot ahead of the non-light thing at the speed of light yea?

So my question is that what would something at the speed of light look like relative to another thing traveling at the speed of light. So if both A and B were running at the speed of light they would both look like light relative to each other? So would this mean the A would look to B as if it were shooting ahead at the speed of light and B would look to A as if it were shooting ahead at the speed of light?

Thanks, and if my writing is to convolutely written please let me know and I'll fix it =]

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex48674 said:
So when something looks like light relative to to another thing it seems to shoot ahead of the non-light thing at the speed of light yea?

So my question is that what would something at the speed of light look like relative to another thing traveling at the speed of light. So if both A and B were running at the speed of light they would both look like light relative to each other? So would this mean the A would look to B as if it were shooting ahead at the speed of light and B would look to A as if it were shooting ahead at the speed of light?

If A and C are "non-light" and B is light, then B will have the same speed with respect to A and C. B can be other things, like neutrinos, which also move at the speed of light.

Ordinary matter cannot travel at the speed of light, so the answer to your second question actually does not exist. There are many contrived scenarios, but no definitive answer can be given, because light is not at rest in any inertial frame.

(But you can think of it this way: accoring to us non-light observers, time is not passing at all in the "light frame", and the whole universe has become a 2-d plane for the light with no thickness in the direction in which it is travelling. So, in its frame, light takes no time to traverse any distance. As I said, this is one of the contrived scenarios, and you can ignore it. Persisting with paridigms like these ultimately leads to paradoxes.)

I understand that it is impossible for a person to move at the speed of light, but I was using the person idea as more of an analogy, and I understand the time dilation bit. I suppose what I am asking is that does light still have the same relative speed to light as it does to a non-light object? And if it does, does that mean from both points of view from the different lights, the other light seems to shoot ahead.

A. point of view(if both are light)

A
B------->

B. point of view (if both are light).

A------->
B

Thanks =]

Last edited:
Your question cannot be answered within the context of relativity. It actually loses meaning.

That doesn't mean that it was bad question.

Alex48674 said:
I suppose what I am asking is that does light still have the same relative speed to light as it does to a non-light object?
When we talk about the speed of A relative to B, what we really mean is A's speed in the inertial rest frame of B. And light simply doesn't have its own inertial rest frame in relativity, the Lorentz transformation gives infinities if you try to plug in v=c.

Shooting star said:
It actually loses meaning.

QUOTE]

:frown:

haha oh well =P

Related to Light vs Light: What Does it Look Like?

1. What is the difference between light and light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye and travels in straight lines. Light can be described in terms of its properties such as wavelength, frequency, and energy. Light is also the fastest known thing in the universe, traveling at a speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. On the other hand, light is a more general term that can refer to any form of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. Can light interact with other light?

Yes, light can interact with other light through a process called interference. When two or more light waves meet, they can either reinforce or cancel each other out, depending on their relative phases. This phenomenon is known as interference and is the basis for many everyday technologies, such as polarized sunglasses and anti-glare coatings on screens.

3. How does light behave as a wave and a particle?

Light exhibits properties of both waves and particles. As a wave, it can diffract, refract, interfere, and exhibit properties such as wavelength and frequency. As a particle, it can transfer energy and momentum, and its behavior can be described by quantum mechanics. This duality of light is known as wave-particle duality and is one of the fundamental principles of modern physics.

4. What determines the color of light?

The color of light is determined by its wavelength. The visible spectrum of light ranges from approximately 400 nanometers (violet) to 700 nanometers (red). The different wavelengths of light correspond to different colors that we see. For example, when all visible wavelengths are present in equal amounts, we perceive white light, while the absence of any visible wavelengths results in black.

5. Can light travel through a vacuum?

Yes, light can travel through a vacuum at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is because light does not require a medium to propagate, unlike sound, which requires a medium such as air or water. This is why we can see stars and other objects in space, even though there is no air or other material to carry the light waves.