Burnout of 6300 Lumen Light Bulb: Why?

• Thread starter CookieSalesman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightbulb
In summary, the author is reviewing a tungsten light bulb and discussing the risks of fingerprints on the glass envelope and the potential for the bulb to overheat.
CookieSalesman
So I purchsaed this 6300 lumen light bulb, clear white glass, with a tugsten fillament.

I have this small desk lamp that used to have some 30 or 60 watt light bulb installed. I replaced that with the more powerful one, but... why did the more powerful one burn out? One day, it just burned out. And I only had it for a few hours. Is it normal for a bulb to be... really really hot? I felt like you could heat a small room with the bulb alone.

Is there something with the voltages or current?

I mean it's a normal 120 volts, directly into the wall socket.I don't get this. SHouldn't any bulb work? No matter the lumens? (I know luminosity isn't the proper measurement, but there's basically a correlation. Right?

Science news on Phys.org
Lamps usually have a sticker saying the maximum allowed wattage. If you use bulbs with more power, you risk fire etc.

I guess that you used a halogen light bulb. Those need to be handled with care, the glass surface must not have fingerprints.

Last edited:
How well ventilated is the light fitting? A more powerful bulb may run hotter.

CWatters said:
How well ventilated is the light fitting? A more powerful bulb may run hotter.
It's about as well ventilated as possible, it's completely open except for an open cyllindrical lampshade around it.

What do you mean by allowed wattage in lamps?

CookieSalesman said:
What do you mean by allowed wattage in lamps?

Lamps can only handle so much power running through them. If you put in a bulb that exceeds the allowed wattage you risk burning out the lamp's wiring, starting a fire, etc.

Wait... so how do bulbs more than 60 watts ever plug in anywhere? I've never seen anything like a 100w socket or whatever.

CookieSalesman said:
Wait... so how do bulbs more than 60 watts ever plug in anywhere? I've never seen anything like a 100w socket or whatever.
For small desk lamps—which is what you mentioned in your original post—60 W is a typical maximum rating. The table lamp I have in my living room is rated at 150 W. It just depends on the lamp.

Sure, most desk lamps are rated at less than other receptacles, but that's to protect the lamp from melting not to protect the bulb from burning out.

Any reason not to assume the OP just got a bad bulb? Or is it possible that a higher wattage bulb gets more brittle?

PietKuip said:
I guess that you used a halogen light bulb. Those need to be handled with care, the glass surface must not have fingerprints.

This is the most appropriate and most likely reasonDave

DaveC426913 said:
Sure, most desk lamps are rated at less than other receptacles, but that's to protect the lamp from melting not to protect the bulb from burning out.

True but over-heating is a common cause for short bulb life.

PietKuip said:

davenn said:
This is the most appropriate and most likely reason
The OP said 6300 tungsten bulb. Halogen bulbs are often not compatible with different wattages of other halogen bulbs, let alone with tungstens.

DaveC426913 said:
The OP said 6300 tungsten bulb. Halogen bulbs are often not compatible with different wattages of other halogen bulbs, let alone with tungstens.

Any of the high wattage bulbs are susceptible to fingerprints on the glass envelope
still a very valid answer :smile:

Jimmy said:
True but over-heating is a common cause for short bulb life.
Yeah but that still doesn't make sense. Why would a bulb in an open lamp (as the OP points out, as open as it can get) overheat more than the bulb stuck in some enclosed lamp supporting a higher wattage?

davenn said:
Any of the high wattage bulbs are susceptible to fingerprints on the glass envelope
still a very valid answer :smile:
I know halogens are. I am highly dubious that tungsten bulbs are. I don;t think the OP is talking about anything more powerful that a 100 or 150 watt bulb.

Well, OK. Here's a 300W 6300 lumen tungsten:
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0710993

Though I'm not sure these giant mostly-vacuum bulbs are susceptible to fingerprints like tiny halogen.
0710993.jpg

Likes PietKuip
DaveC426913 said:
I know halogens are. I am highly dubious that tungsten bulbs are.

I have seen more than a few tungsten floodlight lamps die for that reason ... hell probably killed a couple myself before anyone told me DONT TOUCH the glass ... hahaha
It's the fingerprints that cause hotspots on the high temp glassdon't forget they are all tungstens ... halogen is just the gas filling :wink:

Likes PietKuip and DaveC426913
OK, I see your point.

Maybe we should stop guessing and ask the OP exactly what bulb.

DaveC426913 said:
Halogen bulbs have tungsten filaments.
Anyway, the OP did not provide that much information about the bulb or about the point of failure, so we are just guessing.

Likes DaveC426913
There isn't a direct correlation between power consumption in watts and amount of light produced measured in lumens.
However the old style incandescent bulbs are one of the most inefficient ways of doing it, halogen bulbs are only slightly better.
You could get around 3x better efficiency with flourescent and up to 6x with LED units.

Describing the heat produced by this 6300 lumen rated incandescent bulb as 'enough to heat a small room' is probably close to the truth.
A bit of googling revealed that a standard 100W incandescent bulb produces around 1600 lumens.
Your bulb which broke is equivalent to four of those, so power consumption should be in the region of 400W - which is indeed about right for a small electric bar/coil heater.
I don't know in what situation the unit was intended originally to be used, but my guess is that forced ventilation might have been necessary.

Last edited:
Likes Merlin3189
Oh no no no it was about 300 watts, (so yes close to what rootone said) standard filament, 6300 lumens. If you put paper on it, I would expect, or at least it felt like the paper would probably ignite after a while. Or at least burn up very slowly from the intense heat.

But anyways thanks everyone. I think that's about it for my questions.

Honestly I think you just got a bad bulb.

Likes russ_watters and Tom Rauji
CookieSalesman said:
So I purchsaed this 6300 lumen light bulb, clear white glass, with a tugsten fillament.

I have this small desk lamp that used to have some 30 or 60 watt light bulb installed. I replaced that with the more powerful one, but... why did the more powerful one burn out? One day, it just burned out.
Had you stated the wattage of the new bulb, it would have immediately been clear why you came close to starting a fire. 60 W is about the limit for the typical desklamp fitting; exceed this and you risk damaging the hardware and wiring insulation.

It isn't conclusive that the bulb did burn out, anyway. It might be the fitting or wiring that failed. Have you tried yet another replacement? Never exceed 60W. In fact, that desklamp may not now be safe to use. It needs to be disassembled and closely examined by a qualified electrician to assess it for heat damage, and insulation may have retracted or melted to expose bare wires that could at sometime touch.

If you need more lumens, try the LED replacements---they give more light for the same wattage. A 25W LED would be about as bright as you could stand in a desklamp.

Can you see into the failed bulb's internals? You might find it isn't the filament that has melted, either. It might be the fusible link in one of the conductors between the cap and a support leg that has melted, there was so much overheating.

You should consider it fortunate that the bulb failed, this probably prevented a house fire!

Likes PietKuip
So... you took out a 30/60 watt bulb from a small desk lamp and tried a three hundred watt bulb? :nb)

I'd say you should thank your lucky stars you didn't set your room ablaze! :rolleyes:

[ EDIT ] Oh. Nascent beat me to it...

Likes russ_watters and CWatters
Add me to the list of people whose jaws are on the floor. Three HUNDRED watts? Holy cow!

Yes, that would be in the useful range for stadium floodlights or the kind of things used for illuminating the sky in a war zone!

A picture of CookieSalesman's hometown.
beacon-of-light.jpg

Likes PietKuip and Drakkith
All said and done though, why have LEDS remained high priced despite the technology being by now quite old?
It made sense to me to start replacing worn out incandescent and fluorescent bulbs about ten years ago, but LEDs remain the same expensive unit price.
I might just go back to bargain basement CFLs for a while, since they do live up to expectations, LEDs maybe not so much.

Last edited:
It still needs a semiconductor fab line where as an incandescent bulb is lower tech. I believe the answer is also partly down to the warranty. It's possible to buy cheap LEDs bulbs from china but don't expect a great warranty. It's still hard to make an led bulb survive even the lower heat it generates.

I won't go back to cfl bulbs ever again. LEDs are better. I use a lot of 230V GU10 LED bulbs rated at around 400 to 450 Lumens. Some are a few years old now.

It could be to do with a high resistance contact (dirt / weak spring). That could be making the base hot and compromising the seal where the wires enter the envelope. I seem to remember that bulbs 'hanging down', rather than standing up were said to have shorter lives because of the base and receptacle temperature was higher.

I purchased a few samples of cheap LED bulbs direct from China (free postage). Their life seems okay, but besides some exhibiting an uneven spectrum (too blue), they nearly all seem characterised by bad RFI and cause horrible sizzling noise on an AM radio in the next room.

rootone said:
Yes, that would be in the useful range for stadium floodlights or the kind of things used for illuminating the sky in a war zone!
I use a pair of 500-watt halogens (in lampholders designed for this purpose, of course and an electric circuit rated for the load) for winter-time project lighting in my shop space. The ceiling is white and maybe four meters high... Point the lampholders straight up and the ceiling diffuses the 15,000+ lumens into a nice bright shadow-free pool of light about five meters across.

This is not exactly ordinary everyday lighting :smile:

Likes Drakkith
Nugatory said:
I use a pair of 500-watt halogens (in lampholders designed for this purpose, of course and an electric circuit rated for the load) for winter-time project lighting in my shop space.
and heating! :wink:

Likes Drakkith
Lol thank you everyone for the answers and explanations.
But the bulb actually worked for a number of hours, and was quite satisfactory, until it simply stopped.

Then my roomate and I, both by chance, physics majors broke the lightbulb open, re-hinged the tungsten on the legs and turned it on, exposing it to air. It burned a nice red, before melting down.

Well stop slamming that filament and it might stay on its hinges! Were you raised in a barn? A barn where they had filaments you could slam all day to your heart's content?!