Lightning question before the test : )

In summary, to show that the sequence { 4^(n)/n! } converges to zero by the squeeze theorem, one can compare it to the sequence { 4^(n)/n^(n) } and show that the latter goes to zero as n approaches infinity. This can be achieved by using a constant in the denominator, such as 8^n, and showing that for sufficiently large values of n, \frac{4^n}{n!} is less than \frac{4^n}{8^n}.
frasifrasi
How can I show that the sequence { 4^(n)/n! }

converges to zero (by squeeze theorem)??

Thank you! : )

Physics news on Phys.org
frasifrasi said:
How can I show that the sequence { 4^(n)/n! }

converges to zero (by squeeze theorem)??

Thank you! : )

If the Squeeze Theorem is required as part of the proof, how about comparing

[tex]\frac{4^{n}}{n!}[/tex] < [tex]\frac{4^{n}}{n^{n}}[/tex] (for n > 1)

and showing that the latter goes to zero as n--> infinity?

Minor correction, but the "for n > 1" part isn't correct. You can find the correct value, or just say sufficiently large n.

as n->infinity n^n>n! so [tex]\frac{4^n}{n!} > \frac{4^{n}}{n^{n}}[/tex].

I think probably the idea being expressed was to use a constant in the denominator instead of n. [tex]\frac{4^n}{8^n}[/tex]. (or any constant^n in the denominator where the constant>4)

[tex]\frac{4^n}{n!}< \frac{4^n}{8^n}[/tex] for large enough n.

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
Minor correction, but the "for n > 1" part isn't correct. You can find the correct value, or just say sufficiently large n.

Whoops! Quite so -- I was only looking at the denominators. That needs to be n > 2 , doesn't it? (n=3 works...)

1. What is lightning?

Lightning is a sudden, powerful electrical discharge that occurs during a thunderstorm. It is caused by the buildup and release of electrical energy in the atmosphere.

2. How does lightning form?

Lightning is formed when ice particles in a thunderstorm collide and create static electricity. This causes a separation of positive and negative charges, which leads to a lightning strike.

3. Is lightning dangerous?

Yes, lightning is very dangerous. It can reach temperatures of over 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit and can strike up to 10 miles away from a storm. It can cause severe injuries and even death.

4. What should I do if caught in a lightning storm?

If you are caught in a lightning storm, it is important to seek shelter immediately. Avoid open areas, tall objects, and bodies of water. If indoors, stay away from windows and avoid using electronic devices.

5. Can lightning be predicted?

While lightning cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy, meteorologists use advanced technology and data to forecast the likelihood of lightning strikes in a specific area. It is important to monitor weather reports and take necessary precautions during thunderstorms.