1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lim n[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] (1+(x/n))[tex]^{n}[/tex]

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    lim n[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] (1+(x/n))[tex]^{n}[/tex]

I have no idea where to start. Can anyone who knows what to do give me a hint or tell me the first step? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That looks an awful lot like an exponential function to me. Take the logarithm of [itex](1+(x/n))^n[/itex] and you have a limit, as n goes to infinity, of the form [itex]0*\infty[/itex]. That can be rewritten as so that it is of the form "0/0" and, even though here n is an integer, you can use L'Hopital's rule.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    I'm pretty sure I can't pull the one out of the parenthesis like that. Like when you foil you always have a middle term? So with this we should have n+1 terms, but if we take the one out it chages the equation and we only have two terms if we expand it
  5. Oct 26, 2008 #4
    Maybe I'm wrong. If I can't come up with something better I will do that
  6. Oct 26, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The 1 was supposed to be in the parentheses! I have edited my previous post.

The logarithm of [itex](1+ (x/n))^n[/itex] is n log(1+ (x/n)) which, as I said, is of the form "[itex]0*\infty[/itex]". You can write that as log(1+ (x/n))/(1/n) so that it is now of the form "0/0". Apply L'Hopital's rule treating the n as a continuous variable.
  7. Oct 26, 2008 #6
    alright. thanks so much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?