Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lim n[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] (1+(x/n))[tex]^{n}[/tex]

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    lim n[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] (1+(x/n))[tex]^{n}[/tex]

I have no idea where to start. Can anyone who knows what to do give me a hint or tell me the first step? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

That looks an awful lot like an exponential function to me. Take the logarithm of [itex](1+(x/n))^n[/itex] and you have a limit, as n goes to infinity, of the form [itex]0*\infty[/itex]. That can be rewritten as so that it is of the form "0/0" and, even though here n is an integer, you can use L'Hopital's rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    I'm pretty sure I can't pull the one out of the parenthesis like that. Like when you foil you always have a middle term? So with this we should have n+1 terms, but if we take the one out it chages the equation and we only have two terms if we expand it

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4
    Maybe I'm wrong. If I can't come up with something better I will do that

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The 1 was supposed to be in the parentheses! I have edited my previous post.

The logarithm of [itex](1+ (x/n))^n[/itex] is n log(1+ (x/n)) which, as I said, is of the form "[itex]0*\infty[/itex]". You can write that as log(1+ (x/n))/(1/n) so that it is now of the form "0/0". Apply L'Hopital's rule treating the n as a continuous variable.

7. Oct 26, 2008 #6
    alright. thanks so much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook