Limit of x - lnx as x approaches infinity: Solving Indeterminate Difference"

• Thread starter TsAmE
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for sharing.In summary, the student is trying to find the limit of a function, but is getting lost. He tries using L'Hospital's Rule, but incorrectly. He then tries using a different method and gets the correct answer.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Find lim x -> ∞ (x - lnx)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

lim x -> ∞ (x - lnx)
= lim x -> ∞ ( 1 / 1/x ) - ( 1 / 1/lnx)
= lim x -> ∞ ( 1 / lnx ) - ( 1 / x) / (1 / xlnx)

My working out is just getting bigger and bigger and I don't know what to do :(. I do know that this is an indeterminate difference of the form ∞ - ∞

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned L'Hospital's Rule?

If not you can just use logic to explain that lnx grows much more slowly than x.

[tex]lim(x-lnx)=lim(x)-lim(ln(x))=lim(x)-ln(lim(x))[/tex]

Can you see why the limit is approaching infinite?

I tried using l'Hospital. I differentiated and simplified to get:

lim x -> ∞ ( -1 / x(lnx)^(2) + 1 / x^2 ) / ( -1 / (lnx)^2 + lnx ) and this ended up to be 0, but the correct answer is ∞?

TsAmE said:
I tried using l'Hospital. I differentiated and simplified to get:

lim x -> ∞ ( -1 / x(lnx)^(2) + 1 / x^2 ) / ( -1 / (lnx)^2 + lnx ) and this ended up to be 0, but the correct answer is ∞?
Yes, but you used L'Hopital's Rule incorrectly. It can be used only on expressions that are quotients, which you don't have. If you work with your expression, you can turn it into a product, and then turn that into a quotient.

Mark44 said:
Yes, but you used L'Hopital's Rule incorrectly. It can be used only on expressions that are quotients, which you don't have. If you work with your expression, you can turn it into a product, and then turn that into a quotient.

I differentiated the numerator and denominator according to l'Hospital's rule so I didnt violate the rule I differentiated the numerator: ( 1 / lnx - 1 / x ) divided the derivative of denominator: ( 1 / xlnx ) to get to the answer in my previous post

Is this what you're referring to?
TsAmE said:
lim x -> ∞ (x - lnx)
= lim x -> ∞ ( 1 / 1/x ) - ( 1 / 1/lnx)
= lim x -> ∞ ( 1 / lnx ) - ( 1 / x) / (1 / xlnx)

When I saw the above, I thought that you were using L'Hopital's Rule, but now I realize that you weren't. For the third line to be interpreted as a quotient it needs a pair of brackets or parentheses to clearly mark what is the numerator and what is the denominator, like so:

[( 1 / lnx ) - ( 1 / x)] / (1 / xlnx)

Now that I understand what you were trying to write, that is suitable for using L'Hopital's Rule, but with all those reciprocals, it looks like it would be very messy. Which might be why you ended up with a value of 0 instead of the right value, which is infinity.

It's much simpler to write x - lnx as x(1 - lnx/x), and note that 1 - lnx/x --> 1 as x --> infinity, so the whole product approaches infinity. I think that's a reasonable approach.

For lim x -> ∞ (x - lnx) using your form of x(1 - lnx / x) I got:

∞(1 - ∞ / ∞) which leads to an indeterminate type in the brackets.

Right. So to evaluate lim [x(1 - lnx)/x] you can break it up, which is legitimate to do provided that the limits exist (in the broadest sense).

lim [x(1 - lnx)/x] = lim x * lim(1 - lnx/x) = lim x * [lim 1 - lim(lnx/x)], with all limits taken as x --> infinity. You can use L'Hopital's Rule on lim(lnx/x).

There might be a better way, but if there is, it hasn't occurred to me.

Here is another approach. It is easy to show that for x > e the function (1/e)x is greater than the function ln(x) by comparing derivatives. So, for x > e, x-(1/e)x < x-ln(x), which gives a lower bound for our function. This lower bound is unbounded, which is enough to show that our original function is unbounded.

You could also use x=ln ex and use the properties of the logarithm to combine the terms. The argument of the log will be an indeterminate form you can use the hospital rule to evaluate.

vela said:
You could also use x=ln ex and use the properties of the logarithm to combine the terms. The argument of the log will be an indeterminate form you can use the hospital rule to evaluate.

That's a pretty slick method!

What is the limit of x - lnx as x approaches infinity?

The limit of x - lnx as x approaches infinity is infinity.

Why is the limit of x - lnx as x approaches infinity considered an indeterminate difference?

This is because when x approaches infinity, both x and lnx approach infinity as well. Therefore, their difference cannot be determined without using additional methods such as L'Hospital's rule.

Can L'Hospital's rule be applied to find the limit of x - lnx as x approaches infinity?

Yes, L'Hospital's rule can be applied to find the limit of x - lnx as x approaches infinity. By taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator, the limit can be rewritten as the limit of (1/x) - (1/x) which is equal to 0.

What is the graphical representation of the limit of x - lnx as x approaches infinity?

The graphical representation of the limit of x - lnx as x approaches infinity is a horizontal line at y = infinity. This is because as x increases without bound, the function continues to increase without bound as well.

How does the behavior of x - lnx change as x approaches infinity?

As x approaches infinity, the function x - lnx increases without bound. In other words, it has a vertical asymptote at x = infinity. This behavior can also be observed on the graph of the function.