Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limbaugh, Larson, and Savage

1. May 7, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried listening to Limbaugh a number of times and thought he was loony – the Art Bell of Politics - but I had never heard the Lars Larson or Michael Savage shows: WOW! What a couple of nuts. But of the three Michael Savage takes the cake. To the best of my ability to be precise, here are a few quotes from today’s show:

When a caller suggested that if Obama gets elected, the country will be covered with Mosques, Savage agreed.

It was also one of the most convoluted rants that I've ever heard. Neither Larson or Savage would last a day at PF. They would be banned as crackpots.

Is it any wonder that with people like this bending the ear of working class Americans - hour after hour, day after day, year after year - we get what we have in Washington? But the worst of it is that in spite of the nonsense this guy spreads like horse manure, I defend his right to free speech. At the same time, it makes me sick to see what his brand of bs, and that of his comrades in arms, Larson & Limbaugh, has done to the country. And I have to wonder if there comes a point where his words of hatred are indeed like yelling fire in a crowded theater.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That kind of rhetoric puts a knot in my stomach.

There's a guy at my work who listens to this stuff. I get my share of it from time to time.

Since when is "college educated" a derisive term? God forbid that you open your mind to an alternate point of view!

And what is it about this new breed of conservatives and fear? They revel in it.

Conspiracies, conspiracies everywhere - they seem to see a boogie man around every turn.

And gays...and illegal aliens...and guys who don't wear flags on their lapels...on and on it goes. So much to fear, so little time.

4. May 7, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oy, they sound like a couple of nuts.

5. May 7, 2008 #4
    A bit of Michael Savage (audio). The guy is a total nut case, and apparently some of his listeners are too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. May 7, 2008 #5
    I have not listened to Larson and Limbaugh, But Michael Savage says some crazy and outrageous things. For instance, he said that people with autism should be seperated from the rest of society. The Guy is delusional sometimes. I have found his show unbearable to listened to for the past couple of days. He calls Obama's preacher un-american because he holds opinions that are not the opinions of a lot of Americans. But his show is definetely hysterical, mostly when he isn't talking about politics.

7. May 8, 2008 #6
    I've heard of a bunch of right-wing idiot crackpots like Limbaugh, Savage, O'Reilly, etc. But I've never heard of actual left-wing nuts that are equivalent.

8. May 8, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are those too...but they are just nowhere near as popular or well-financed.

9. May 8, 2008 #8

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What a riot! He appears to hate Starbucks as well. Now THAT's unamerican...
    Who listens to this guy? Sounds to me like the angry bitter types do.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. May 8, 2008 #9

believe it or not, this guy has the third most listened to radio talk show in the country.

11. May 8, 2008 #10

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I loved the clip. He rants about people in Starbuck's ordering coffee or anything with 'mocha' or 'latte' like it's a crime.

Third most listened to? I'm grabbing my gun and my bible and hunkerin' down...

I thought either NPR's Morning Edition or All Things Considered were the third most listened to radio show. Talk show... Radio show... What's the difference?

Glenn Beck claims to be the third most listened to talk show. (I googled 'third most listened to talk show radio program') Laura Ingraham also claims that title according to Tammy Bruce.

I've got a feeling that Michael Savage is waaayy down the list.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  12. May 8, 2008 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. May 8, 2008 #12
    Why throw in O'reiley with the other two? Clinton. Obama and many many other liberals have appeared on his show. Some do so on a regular basis.

14. May 8, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the clip, I was struck by his comment about the liberals from San Francisco coming to Oregon and ruining the place in the 1970s.

In Portland, in the early 70s, there were still public drinking fountains marked as "white only". Also, as I was finishing college at OSU, a retiring physics professor told me that during the 60s, some big shot with the KKK ran the physics department. I think he actually said that the guy was the Grand Wizard of the KKK.

I had a very good Chinese friend who was afraid to come to Oregon because it was generally believed among Chinese immigrants that Oregon is too dangerous for non-whites.

Yep, the liberals have absolutely ruined the place! Bring back the real men and their white sheets!!!

15. May 8, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was personally targeted by some of these types when I moved here because I declared myself to be an environmentalist. My life was threatened and I was harrassed for a couple of years - midnight phones calls, threats, and I think someone got into our house once. I ended up having to involve the Dept of Justice because the police were involved as well. The information from a phone tap that I had ordered by the court mysteriously disappeared. One guy told me that I was going to be arrested for jaywalking and that I would commit suicide while I was in jail.

It is nice to have a relative working with the FBI.

Yep, the liberals have absolutely ruined the place.

16. May 8, 2008 #15
    Clinton (of the BIll variety) appeared on Limbaugh's show recently.

If you listen to O'Reilley you'll notice that he's just as batsh** insane as the others. His War on Chrismas? Please.

17. May 8, 2008 #16
    LOL, Savage rocks!

18. May 8, 2008 #17
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. O'reilley is nowhere near as controversial as those others you mentioned.

I also believe that there an ongoing effort to remove christianity from christmas. How can you not?

You might agree with the effort, but to deny that it exists, cmon.

I'm going to be away for the next few days, but perhaps on one of thse upcoming nights, we can agree to watch an episode of O'reiley and discuss just how crazy it was. On a segment by segment basis.

And then, just to "correct" the intolerable (*shudder*) fact that Fox gained an extra viewer for an hour one night, we can do the same thing with a show of your choice. I already watch CNN every night, so perhaps something on MNBC.

19. May 8, 2008 #18
    I don't care about where you percieve bias in other shows. I admit that there is bias in every show. I watch Countdown with Keith Olbermann and he makes it clear that he doesn't like Republicans, will want Obama to win, but will settle for Clinton instead of McCain. Do I agree with him? No. But he doesn't make a total ass of himself by saying that Americans slaughtered Germans in Malmedy or to try and shup up his own guest for speaking his mind and going against what O'Reilly is saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Bill_O'Reilly

20. May 8, 2008 #19
    I missed your commentary earlier, and I have to say, i don't know where to start. You seem to be just as guilty of generating stereotypes as those you accuse.

Are you referring to the 9-11 conspiracies, or the "vast right wing" conspiracy?

Some people believe that enforcing the law is a good thing.

The flag on the lapel thing...is that related to clinton campaing's notification that Obama was not properly covering his heart while the anthem was being sung?

If you are referring to the lapel controversy a few years back, the actual problem was that people were being *forced* to remove their lapel pins.

21. May 8, 2008 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? You think there's a war on Christmas? Seriously...? Wow...I'm kind of speechless.

As for O'Reilly, regarding a case where a boy was abducted and held for 4 years: that kidnapped boy *LOVED* being held captive!

http://mediamatters.org/items/200701170009

Ummmm...no, the boy was repeatedly raped by his captor.

If you ever have some time to kill and want to get a look at the sick inner workings of O'Reilly, read through the legal papers that were filed when he was hit by a sexual harassment case:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1013043mackris1.html

The guy's a nutcase.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?