1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit and Continuity Question

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    Let [tex]l \in R[/tex] be the least upper bound of a nonempty set S of real numbers.
    Show that for every [tex]\epsilon < 0[/tex] there is an [tex]x \in S[/tex] such that
    [tex]x > l - \epsilon[/tex]

I don't understand this question very well, I appreciate it if you could give me some hints.

l is the l.u.b on S, therefore it is greater than or equal to any [tex]s \in S[/tex]

By the definition of the limit; |f(x)-l| < ε if 0 < |x-a| < δ

l-ε < x < l+ε

|f(x)-l| < ε

"?"

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose it's NOT true. Then there is an epsilon such that x<=l-epsilon for all x in S. Can l really be lub(S)?

4. Apr 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks, so that's how you derive the contradiction.

But could you explain it in more detail please(especially the last bit)?

I appreciate that.

5. Apr 10, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

l is supposed to be the LEAST upper bound. If x<=l-epsilon for all x in S, then l-epsilon is ALSO an upper bound. What the order relation between l and l-epsilon?

6. Apr 10, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What limit and what f(x) are you talking about? There is no function nor limit of a function mentioned in the problem

Dick has given the hint you need: use proof by contradiction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?