How to Prove that l is the Least Upper Bound of a Set S of Real Numbers?

In summary: Assume that it is NOT true that for every \epsilon < 0 there is an x \in S such that x > l - \epsilon. Then what can you say about l-epsilon and the set S?In summary, for a nonempty set S of real numbers, let l be the least upper bound. It is greater than or equal to any element in S, and by the definition of the limit, |f(x)-l| < ε if 0 < |x-a| < δ. Assume it is not true that for every ε < 0 there is an x in S such that x > l - ε. This would mean that l-ε is also an upper bound for S, contradict
roam
Let [tex]l \in R[/tex] be the least upper bound of a nonempty set S of real numbers.
Show that for every [tex]\epsilon < 0[/tex] there is an [tex]x \in S[/tex] such that
[tex]x > l - \epsilon[/tex]

I don't understand this question very well, I appreciate it if you could give me some hints.

l is the l.u.b on S, therefore it is greater than or equal to any [tex]s \in S[/tex]

By the definition of the limit; |f(x)-l| < ε if 0 < |x-a| < δ

l-ε < x < l+ε

|f(x)-l| < ε

"?"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose it's NOT true. Then there is an epsilon such that x<=l-epsilon for all x in S. Can l really be lub(S)?

Thanks, so that's how you derive the contradiction.

But could you explain it in more detail please(especially the last bit)?

I appreciate that.

l is supposed to be the LEAST upper bound. If x<=l-epsilon for all x in S, then l-epsilon is ALSO an upper bound. What the order relation between l and l-epsilon?

roam said:
Let [tex]l \in R[/tex] be the least upper bound of a nonempty set S of real numbers.
Show that for every [tex]\epsilon < 0[/tex] there is an [tex]x \in S[/tex] such that
[tex]x > l - \epsilon[/tex]

I don't understand this question very well, I appreciate it if you could give me some hints.

l is the l.u.b on S, therefore it is greater than or equal to any [tex]s \in S[/tex]

By the definition of the limit; |f(x)-l| < ε if 0 < |x-a| < δ

What limit and what f(x) are you talking about? There is no function nor limit of a function mentioned in the problem

l-ε < x < l+ε

|f(x)-l| < ε

"?"
Dick has given the hint you need: use proof by contradiction.

Related to How to Prove that l is the Least Upper Bound of a Set S of Real Numbers?

What is the definition of limit and continuity?

The limit of a function is the value that the function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. Continuity refers to the smoothness and connectedness of a function over its entire domain.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can either use algebraic techniques such as factoring or simplifying, or you can use graphical methods such as looking at the behavior of the function as the input gets closer to a specific value.

What is a removable discontinuity?

A removable discontinuity is a point at which a function is not continuous, but the discontinuity can be removed by defining the value of the function at that point. This is typically done by filling in the hole at the discontinuity with the limit of the function at that point.

How do you determine if a function is continuous at a point?

A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, as the input approaches a certain value, the output also approaches that same value.

What is the difference between a removable and non-removable discontinuity?

A removable discontinuity can be fixed by defining the value of the function at that point, whereas a non-removable discontinuity cannot be fixed and will result in a break or jump in the function. Non-removable discontinuities can also occur at infinite values, while removable discontinuities only occur at specific points.