Limit of x(e^(1/x)-1) as x approaches infinity: Solving with L'Hopital's Rule

• Thread starter James Brady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    limit
In summary, the problem asks to find the limit of the function x(e^(1/x)-1) as x goes to infinity. The attempt at a solution involves rewriting the function in terms of a ratio and using L'Hopital's rule, but the exponential terms do not cancel. An alternate approach is suggested by rewriting the ratio as (e^(1/x)-1)/(1/x), which can then be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule.
James Brady

Homework Statement

Find ##\lim_{x\to\infty} x(e^{1/x}-1)##

Homework Equations

##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to rewrite the function in terms of a ratio and then use L'Hopital's rule:

##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{x}{(e^{1/x}-1)^{-1}} = \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1}{-(e^{1/x}-1)^{-2}(\frac{1}{x}e^{1/x})}##

The problem is that the exponential terms never go away. The bigger problem is I believe L'Hopital's Rule is probably unnecessary and I'm missing something more basic here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be easier for you to investigate :smile: $$\lim_{\varepsilon\downarrow 0} {e^\varepsilon -1 \over \varepsilon } \ \ \rm ? $$

Likes James Brady and PeroK
Another idea is to use power series.

BvU said:
Would it be easier for you to investigate :smile: $$\lim_{\varepsilon\downarrow 0} {e^\varepsilon -1 \over \varepsilon } \ \ \rm ? $$

I am able to see what you did today :oldsmile:. ##\epsilon = 1/x , x = 1/ \epsilon## Now I can infer that as x goes to infinity, epsilon goes to zero, so by making this replacement, we also replace the limit from infinity to zero. Then once we get into this nice form, L'Hopital's Rule and we're good. I'm not sure if I've ever seen this technique before, at least I don't remember it.

James Brady said:
I attempted to rewrite the function in terms of a ratio and then use L'Hopital's rule:

##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{x}{(e^{1/x}-1)^{-1}} = \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1}{-(e^{1/x}-1)^{-2}(\frac{1}{x}e^{1/x})}##

The problem is that the exponential terms never go away. The bigger problem is I believe L'Hopital's Rule is probably unnecessary and I'm missing something more basic here.
You could write the ratio differently.
$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{e^{1/x}-1}{1/x}$$
That form succumbs straightforwardly to the hospital rule.

What is the limit of x(e^(1/x)-1) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of x(e^(1/x)-1) as x approaches infinity is equal to 1.

How do you calculate the limit of x(e^(1/x)-1) as x approaches infinity?

To calculate the limit, you can rewrite the expression as x(e^(1/x)-1) = x(e^(-1/x)) and use the fact that as x approaches infinity, e^(-1/x) approaches 1. This results in the limit being equal to 1.

What is the significance of the limit of x(e^(1/x)-1) as x approaches infinity?

The limit represents the behavior of the function x(e^(1/x)-1) as x becomes infinitely large. In this case, the limit indicates that the function approaches a constant value of 1 as x approaches infinity.

Does the limit of x(e^(1/x)-1) as x approaches infinity have any real-world applications?

Yes, this limit is often used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to analyze the behavior of functions as the input variable becomes infinitely large.

How can the knowledge of the limit of x(e^(1/x)-1) as x approaches infinity be applied in scientific research?

The limit can be used in scientific research to model and predict the behavior of systems or processes that involve exponential functions and infinite values, such as population growth or chemical reactions. It can also be used to approximate values in certain calculations.