Limit help needed for end of complex number question

Thanks,EdI just realized I'm over complicating things. From the question and with ##k=nq## we have $$w_1^k+w_2^k+...+w_n^k=w_1^{nq}+w_2^{nq}+...+w_n^{nq}=(w_1^n)^q+(w_2^n)^q+...+(w_n^n)^q=(1)^q+(1)^q+...+(1)^q=n.\Box$$In my original solution I have subtracted ##\pi## from the arguments of the n'th roots so they fit in the range ##(-\pi,\pi]## and I think this
EdMel

Homework Statement

43. Let ##w_1, w_2, ... , w_n## be the ##n## distinct ##n##'th roots of unity ##(n\geq0)##. Show that if ##k## is an integer then $$w_1^k+w_2^k+...+w_n^k$$ equals ##0## or ##n##. Find the values of ##k## for which the sum is ##n##.

Hint:Write the roots in polar form and sum the resulting geometric progression.

Homework Equations

It has been shown elsewhere that $$1-e^{i\theta}=e^{i\frac{\theta}{2}}.-2i.\sin{\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)}$$
which has been derived from Euler's formula $$e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta.$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Note: My problems start with Case 2 at the end of my solution. I have questions after the end of my solution.

Solution:

In polar form the ##n##'th roots of unity can be written as $$w_l=e^{i\pi\frac{(2l-n)}{n}}$$ for ##l=1## to ##n##.

Let the sum in the question be ##S_n## then this can be written in polar form as
$$S_n=\left(e^{i\pi\frac{(2.1-n)}{n}}\right)^k+\left(e^{i\pi\frac{(2.2-n)}{n}}\right)^k+...\left(e^{i\pi\frac{(2.n-n)}{n}}\right)^k.$$ There is a common factor of $$e^{i\pi\frac{(2-n)k}{n}}$$ so we can take this out side brackets to get
$$S_n=e^{i\pi\frac{(2-n)k}{n}}
\left(1+e^{i\pi\frac{2k}{n}}+...+e^{i\pi\frac{2(n-1)k}{n}}\right).$$
We have a geometric progression in the brackets with a ratio of ##e^{i\pi\frac{2k}{n}}## so we can now write the sum as
$$S_n=e^{i\pi\frac{(2-n)k}{n}}.\frac{1-\left(e^{i\pi\frac{2k}{n}}\right)^n}{1-\left(e^{i\pi\frac{2k}{n}}\right)}
=e^{i\pi\frac{(2-n)k}{n}}.\frac{1-e^{i\pi2k}}{1-e^{i\pi\frac{2k}{n}}}.$$

As $$1-e^{i\theta}=e^{i\frac{\theta}{2}}.-2i.\sin{\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)}$$ the sum can be written as
$$S_n=e^{i\pi\frac{(2-n)k}{n}}.
\frac{e^{i\pi k}.-2i.\sin{(\pi k)}} {e^{\frac{i\pi k}{n}}.-2i.\sin{(\frac{\pi k}{n})}}
=e^{i\pi\frac{k}{n}}.\frac{\sin{(\pi k)}} {\sin{(\pi\frac{k}{n})}}.$$

I now split up the solution into two cases.

Case 1 - The integer ##k## is not an integer multiple of ##n##.

In this case ##\sin{(\pi k)}=0## (it always will as ##k## in an integer), ##\sin{(\pi\frac{k}{n})}\neq0## as ##n## is not a factor of ##k## and ##\frac{k}{n}## does not reduce to an integer, so ##S_n=0##.

Case 2 - The integer ##k## is an integer multiple of ##n##.

Let ##k=qn## where ##q\in\mathbb Z##. The problem here is that both ##\sin{(\pi k)}## and ##\sin{(\pi\frac{k}{n})}## equal zero, so we have the indeterminate form ##\frac{0}{0}## in ##S_n##.

You can check the limit of ##S_n## as ##q\rightarrow0##
$$\lim_{q\rightarrow0}\left(e^{i\pi\frac{k}{n}}. \frac{\sin{(\pi k)}} {\sin{(\pi\frac{k}{n})}}\right)=
\lim_{q\rightarrow0}\left(e^{i\pi\frac{qn}{n}}. \frac{\sin{(\pi qn)}} {\sin{(\pi\frac{qn}{n})}}\right)=
\lim_{q\rightarrow0} \left(e^{i\pi q}. \frac{\sin{(\pi qn)}} {\sin{(\pi q)}}\right),$$
and then
$$=\lim_{q\rightarrow0}e^{i\pi q}.
\lim_{q\rightarrow0} \left(\frac{\sin{(\pi qn)}} {\pi qn} \right).
\lim_{q\rightarrow0} \left(\frac{\pi q}{\sin{(\pi q)}}\right).
\lim_{q\rightarrow0} n =
1.1.1.n=n\qquad.\Box$$

This is as far as I have got. My problems now are
1) How do I prove Case 2 for the general situation when ##q## is any integer?
2) How do I show that the limit in Case 2 is continuous?
3) How so I deal with the fact that ##e^{i\pi q}## flips between ##\pm1## depending if ##q## is odd or even? I guess question 3) here will be answered by 1) and 2) depending on the sign of the sin limits.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi EdMel! :smile:

patient to doctor: doctor, it hurts when i do that

doctor to patient: then don't do that! :biggrin:
EdMel said:
Case 2 - The integer ##k## is an integer multiple of ##n##.

Let ##k=qn## … we have the indeterminate form ##\frac{0}{0}## in ##S_n##.

so don't use Sn :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi EdMel! :smile:

patient to doctor: doctor, it hurts when i do that

doctor to patient: then don't do that! :biggrin:

so don't use Sn :wink:

Hi tiny-tim,

I can see that for Case 2 its easer to use $$S_n=e^{i\pi\frac{(2-n)k}{n}}\left(1+e^{i\pi\frac{2k}{n}}+...+e^{i\pi \frac{2(n-1)k}{n}}\right)$$ instead of reducing this to include the sin functions. Substituting in ##k=nq## gives
$$S_n=e^{i\pi\frac{(2-n)nq}{n}}\left(1+e^{i\pi\frac{2nq}{n}}+...+e^{i\pi \frac{2(n-1)nq}{n}}\right)=e^{i\pi2q}.e^{i\pi(-nq)}\left(1+e^{i\pi2q}+...+e^{i\pi2(n-1)q}\right),$$
all the ##e^{i\theta}## terms with an even integer multiple of ##\pi## as an argument are equal to 1
$$S_n=1.e^{i\pi(-nq)}(1+1+...+1)=e^{i\pi(-nq)}.n\qquad,$$
which still has ##S_n## flipping between ##-n## and ##n## depending on ##k## being and odd or even integer multiple of ##n##.

Maybe my algebra was wrong some-where? I have checked it several times though.

Thanks,

Ed

EdMel said:
Hi tiny-tim,

I can see that for Case 2 its easer to use $$S_n=e^{i\pi\frac{(2-n)k}{n}}\left(1+e^{i\pi\frac{2k}{n}}+...+e^{i\pi \frac{2(n-1)k}{n}}\right)$$ instead of reducing this to include the sin functions. Substituting in ##k=nq## gives
$$S_n=e^{i\pi\frac{(2-n)nq}{n}}\left(1+e^{i\pi\frac{2nq}{n}}+...+e^{i\pi \frac{2(n-1)nq}{n}}\right)=e^{i\pi2q}.e^{i\pi(-nq)}\left(1+e^{i\pi2q}+...+e^{i\pi2(n-1)q}\right),$$
all the ##e^{i\theta}## terms with an even integer multiple of ##\pi## as an argument are equal to 1
$$S_n=1.e^{i\pi(-nq)}(1+1+...+1)=e^{i\pi(-nq)}.n\qquad,$$
which still has ##S_n## flipping between ##-n## and ##n## depending on ##k## being and odd or even integer multiple of ##n##.

Maybe my algebra was wrong some-where? I have checked it several times though.

Thanks,

Ed

I just realized I'm over complicating things.

From the question and with ##k=nq## we have
$$w_1^k+w_2^k+...+w_n^k=w_1^{nq}+w_2^{nq}+...+w_n^{nq}=(w_1^n)^q+(w_2^n)^q+...+(w_n^n)^q=(1)^q+(1)^q+...+(1)^q=n.\Box$$

In my original solution I have subtracted ##\pi## from the arguments of the n'th roots so they fit in the range ##(-\pi,\pi]## and I think this has stuffed me up.

:biggrin:

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The imaginary part is denoted by the letter i, which represents the square root of -1.

How do I find the limit of a complex number?

To find the limit of a complex number, you can use the same methods as you would with a real number. First, try to simplify the expression by factoring or using algebraic manipulations. Then, plug in the value that the variable is approaching to see what the limit is.

Can I use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of a complex number?

No, L'Hopital's rule only applies to limits of real numbers. It cannot be used for limits of complex numbers.

What is the difference between a limit of a real number and a limit of a complex number?

The concept of a limit is the same for both real and complex numbers. However, the algebraic manipulations and calculations involved may be more complex for complex numbers due to the additional imaginary component. Additionally, complex numbers have the added complexity of having a real and imaginary part.

Are there any special cases I should be aware of when finding the limit of a complex number?

Yes, one special case is when the limit of the real part and the limit of the imaginary part do not exist, but the limit of the complex number as a whole does exist. This is known as the limit of a complex number at infinity. Another special case is when the limit of a complex number does not exist because it approaches different values from different directions.