Understanding the Limit as n Approaches Infinity in Calculus

• Thread starter Nerpilis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses a limit question involving the expression (1+1/(n+1))^n. The reasoning behind dividing the numerator and denominator by n is not clear, and there are suggestions to use a substitution or rewrite the expression in a different form. The confusion over the step of dividing by n remains.
Nerpilis
ok I have this limit question that was done in class but i didn't catch it at the time but they grazed over a step where I'm not sure what the reasoning was.
[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n + 1} \right)^{n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{ \frac{1}{n} }{ 1 + \frac{1}{n} } \right)^{n} = e [/tex]
I see the multiplication of one in the form of 1/n over 1/n and i know that [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^{n} = e [/tex] and i can see the similarity and possible substituions...but what happens to the 'n' exponet since it doesn't substitute nicely?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see no reason to divide the numerator and the denominator by n. You can simply use a substitution like m=n+1. Or write:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n + 1} \right)^{n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n + 1} \right)^{n+1}\cdot \frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{n+1}}[/tex]

I think I'm a little more confused now...I do agree that i don't see what dividing by n did to help.

1. What is the limit as n approaches infinity?

The limit as n approaches infinity is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input value approaches infinity. It represents the value that a function approaches but does not necessarily reach as its input value gets closer and closer to infinity.

2. How do you calculate the limit as n approaches infinity?

The limit as n approaches infinity can be calculated by plugging in larger and larger values for n and observing the trend of the function's output. If the function approaches a specific value or becomes unbounded (approaches infinity or negative infinity), then that value is the limit as n approaches infinity.

3. What does it mean if the limit as n approaches infinity does not exist?

If the limit as n approaches infinity does not exist, it means that the function does not approach a specific value or become unbounded as n gets larger and larger. This could be due to the function oscillating between different values or having a removable discontinuity at infinity.

4. Can the limit as n approaches infinity be negative?

Yes, the limit as n approaches infinity can be negative. This would mean that the function approaches a negative value or becomes unbounded towards negative infinity as n gets larger and larger.

5. Why is understanding the limit as n approaches infinity important in calculus?

Understanding the limit as n approaches infinity is important in calculus because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function at infinity and make predictions about its long-term behavior. It also helps us solve problems involving infinite processes, such as finding areas under curves or calculating the sum of an infinite series.