1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit is e

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1
    ok I have this limit question that was done in class but i didn't catch it at the time but they grazed over a step where i'm not sure what the reasoning was.
    [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n + 1} \right)^{n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{ \frac{1}{n} }{ 1 + \frac{1}{n} } \right)^{n} = e [/tex]
    I see the multiplication of one in the form of 1/n over 1/n and i know that [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^{n} = e [/tex] and i can see the similarity and possible substituions....but what happens to the 'n' exponet since it doesn't substitute nicely?
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see no reason to divide the numerator and the denominator by n. You can simply use a substitution like m=n+1. Or write:
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n + 1} \right)^{n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n + 1} \right)^{n+1}\cdot \frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{n+1}}[/tex]
  4. Nov 1, 2005 #3
    I think I'm a little more confused now....I do agree that i dont see what dividing by n did to help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?