Limit Log Rule Help: Find Limit as p->infinity

• Thread starter KevinL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Log
Do you know how to do that?In summary, the limit as p approaches infinity of the given expression is indeterminate form \infty \cdot 0. To solve this, we take the natural logarithm of both sides and use the log rule to simplify the expression into (2p+3) times the natural logarithm of a rational expression. We can then use L'Hopital's rule to take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and evaluate the limit of the resulting rational expression, which is easier to compute.
KevinL

Homework Statement

Limit as p->infinity of ((p^2-p+1)/((P+1)^2)^(2p+3)

In case the parenthesis are confusing, its one giant fraction all raised to the (2p+3) power.

2. The attempt at a solution
I set the entire problem equal to L and took the ln of both sides. This let's me move the power down using a log rule So:

ln(L) = lim p->infinity (2p+3)* ln((p^2-p+1)/((P+1)^2)

Using the log rule of ln(m/n) = ln(m) – ln(n):

lim p-> infinity (2p+3)[ln(p^2-p+1) - 2ln(p+1)]

At this point I am not sure. I think I can put it into a form where I can then use hopital's rule? So:

[ln(p^2-p+1) - 2ln(p+1)] / (1/(2p+3))

Will that help? I took the derivative of top and bottom but its not looking like something I can use.

Physics news on Phys.org

KevinL said:

Homework Statement

Limit as p->infinity of ((p^2-p+1)/((P+1)^2)^(2p+3)

In case the parenthesis are confusing, its one giant fraction all raised to the (2p+3) power.

Let's clean this up a bit using LaTeX. If you want to see the code that I used to generate this image, just click on it. Make sure popups are allowed though.

[tex]\lim_{p\rightarrow\infty}\left(\frac{p^2-p+1}{(p+1)^2}\right)^{2p+3}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I set the entire problem equal to L and took the ln of both sides. This let's me move the power down using a log rule So:

ln(L) = lim p->infinity (2p+3)* ln((p^2-p+1)/((P+1)^2)

So far so good.

Using the log rule of ln(m/n) = ln(m) – ln(n):

lim p-> infinity (2p+3)[ln(p^2-p+1) - 2ln(p+1)]

This isn't going to help too much because you get the indeterminate form [itex]\infty - \infty[/itex]. Instead write it like this:

[tex]\ln(L)=\lim_{p\rightarrow\infty}(2p+3)\ln\left(\frac{p^2-p+1}{(p+1)^2}\right)[/tex]

This is the indeterminate form [itex]\infty \cdot 0[/itex]. Do you know how to handle that?

That latex code confuses me, but hopefully I can still write it out like you would into a calculator.

So, with 0 * infinity I need to make it look like this:

ln((p^2-p+1)/((P+1)^2) / (1/(2p+3))

Ordinarily I would use hopital's rule, but wouldn't the top fraction become uglier after differentiating rather than more helpful?

It gets uglier before it gets better. If you take the derivative of the top and the bottom you end up with a ratio of rational expressions, which is itself a rational expression. Limits of rational expressions at infinity are easy to compute.

1. What is the limit log rule?

The limit log rule is a mathematical technique used to find the limit of a function as the independent variable approaches infinity. It states that the limit of a logarithmic function as x approaches infinity is equal to the logarithm of the limit of the function.

2. How do I apply the limit log rule?

To apply the limit log rule, first rewrite the function in the form of a logarithm. Then, apply the limit of the logarithmic function as x approaches infinity. Finally, take the logarithm of the limit of the original function to get the final answer.

3. Can the limit log rule be used for all functions?

No, the limit log rule can only be used for functions that can be rewritten in the form of a logarithm. This includes functions with exponential and power functions, as well as trigonometric functions.

4. What is the purpose of using the limit log rule?

The limit log rule is used to evaluate the behavior of a function as the independent variable approaches infinity. It is particularly useful in solving problems related to growth and decay, such as population growth and radioactive decay.

5. Are there any limitations to using the limit log rule?

Yes, the limit log rule can only be applied to functions that can be rewritten in the form of a logarithm. It also cannot be used to evaluate limits at other points besides infinity.