Behavior of e^(i*x) at Infinity and Negative Infinity

In summary, the product of the delta Dirac function and the exponential function at infinity and negative infinity is equal to 0. This is because the delta function evaluates to 0 at any nonzero value of x, and the exponential function does not converge to a single value at infinity. Therefore, the limit of the product is 0.
Typhon4ever

Homework Statement

delta dirac function(x) * e^(-i*x) at ∞ and -∞

Homework Equations

delta dirac(x)*e^(i*x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm wondering how e^(i*x) looks like at infinity/-infinity. I know it has some sort of oscillating property i.e e^(pi*i)=e^(3pi*i). The problem is I'm trying to find the delta dirac function * e^(-i*x) at infinity and negative infinity but I don't know how to evaluate the exponential. I know the delta function should be 0 in both cases but I don't know if the exponential will turn out to be indeterminate or something else. I should get 0 from the whole equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
vela said:

Ok. Using Euler's if I'm not mistaken just tells me the limit doesn't exist. What do I do then to evaluate this problem?

Typhon4ever said:

Homework Statement

delta dirac function(x) * e^(-i*x) at ∞ and -∞

Homework Equations

delta dirac(x)*e^(i*x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm wondering how e^(i*x) looks like at infinity/-infinity. I know it has some sort of oscillating property i.e e^(pi*i)=e^(3pi*i). The problem is I'm trying to find the delta dirac function * e^(-i*x) at infinity and negative infinity but I don't know how to evaluate the exponential. I know the delta function should be 0 in both cases but I don't know if the exponential will turn out to be indeterminate or something else. I should get 0 from the whole equation.
How are you defining the Dirac delta? What does that imply about the product?

Mandelbroth said:
How are you defining the Dirac delta? What does that imply about the product?

I'm not sure what you mean by how I'm defining the dirac delta.

Typhon4ever said:
I'm not sure what you mean by how I'm defining the dirac delta.
Well, what does the Dirac delta evaluate to at any nonzero ##x\in\mathbb{R}##?

I'm assuming your "*" means multiplication, correct?

Mandelbroth said:
Well, what does the Dirac delta evaluate to at any nonzero ##x\in\mathbb{R}##?

I'm assuming your "*" means multiplication, correct?

Yes "*" means multiplication. Anywhere except the origin is 0.

Typhon4ever said:
Ok. Using Euler's if I'm not mistaken just tells me the limit doesn't exist. What do I do then to evaluate this problem?
If you're referring to the limit ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} e^{ix}##, then you're correct. That limit doesn't exist because ##e^{ix}## doesn't converge to a single value. But that's not the limit you were asking about. You should cogitate on the implication of your (correct) answer to Mandelbroth's question.

vela said:
If you're referring to the limit ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} e^{ix}##, then you're correct. That limit doesn't exist because ##e^{ix}## doesn't converge to a single value. But that's not the limit you were asking about. You should cogitate on the implication of your (correct) answer to Mandelbroth's question.

So I have the delta function at infinity which is 0 * a non converging exponential=...0?

Yes, that's the right answer, but you're not thinking about this correctly. Since you're interested in the limit as x goes to +∞, you can assume x>0. For any such value of x, ##\delta(x)e^{ix} = 0\times e^{ix} = 0##. Now you take the limit of this as x goes to +∞.
$$\lim_{x \to \infty} \delta(x)e^{ix} = \lim_{x \to \infty} 0 = 0.$$ The behavior of ##e^{ix}## doesn't matter.

Oh, ok. Thank you!

Related to Behavior of e^(i*x) at Infinity and Negative Infinity

What is the limit of e^(i*x) at infinity?

The limit of e^(i*x) at infinity does not exist because the function oscillates between -1 and 1 as x approaches infinity.

Why does the limit of e^(i*x) at infinity not exist?

The limit does not exist because the function e^(i*x) does not approach a single, finite value as x approaches infinity. Instead, it oscillates between two values infinitely.

Can the limit of e^(i*x) at infinity be approached from different directions?

Yes, the limit of e^(i*x) at infinity can be approached from different directions. For example, as x approaches infinity from the positive direction, the values of e^(i*x) oscillate between 1 and -1. However, as x approaches infinity from the negative direction, the values of e^(i*x) oscillate between -1 and 1. This shows that the limit does not exist.

What does the graph of e^(i*x) look like at infinity?

The graph of e^(i*x) at infinity is a periodic function, meaning it repeats itself infinitely. It oscillates between -1 and 1 as x approaches infinity, creating a spiral-like shape on a complex plane.

Is there a way to define the limit of e^(i*x) at infinity?

No, the limit of e^(i*x) at infinity cannot be defined because the function oscillates between two values infinitely, and thus does not approach a single, finite value. This property is known as the function being "unbounded" at infinity.