1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of e^(i*x) at infinity?

1. Nov 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    delta dirac function(x) * e^(-i*x) at ∞ and -∞

2. Relevant equations
    delta dirac(x)*e^(i*x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm wondering how e^(i*x) looks like at infinity/-infinity. I know it has some sort of oscillating property i.e e^(pi*i)=e^(3pi*i). The problem is I'm trying to find the delta dirac function * e^(-i*x) at infinity and negative infinity but I don't know how to evaluate the exponential. I know the delta function should be 0 in both cases but I don't know if the exponential will turn out to be indeterminate or something else. I should get 0 from the whole equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

4. Nov 30, 2013 #3
    Ok. Using Euler's if I'm not mistaken just tells me the limit doesn't exist. What do I do then to evaluate this problem?

5. Nov 30, 2013 #4
    How are you defining the Dirac delta? What does that imply about the product?

6. Nov 30, 2013 #5
    I'm not sure what you mean by how I'm defining the dirac delta.

7. Nov 30, 2013 #6
    Well, what does the Dirac delta evaluate to at any nonzero ##x\in\mathbb{R}##?

I'm assuming your "*" means multiplication, correct?

8. Nov 30, 2013 #7
    Yes "*" means multiplication. Anywhere except the origin is 0.

9. Nov 30, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you're referring to the limit ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} e^{ix}##, then you're correct. That limit doesn't exist because ##e^{ix}## doesn't converge to a single value. But that's not the limit you were asking about. You should cogitate on the implication of your (correct) answer to Mandelbroth's question.

10. Nov 30, 2013 #9
    So I have the delta function at infinity which is 0 * a non converging exponential=...0?

11. Nov 30, 2013 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's the right answer, but you're not thinking about this correctly. Since you're interested in the limit as x goes to +∞, you can assume x>0. For any such value of x, ##\delta(x)e^{ix} = 0\times e^{ix} = 0##. Now you take the limit of this as x goes to +∞.
    $$\lim_{x \to \infty} \delta(x)e^{ix} = \lim_{x \to \infty} 0 = 0.$$ The behavior of ##e^{ix}## doesn't matter.

12. Nov 30, 2013 #11
    Oh, ok. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted