Limit of recurrently given sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses solving limits for a sequence given by a recurrent expression. The first step is to prove the monotony and finiteness of the sequence, and then find the limit by substituting the value for A in the expression. The equality comes from the fact that for very large values of n, a[n+1] is approximately equal to a[n]. Finally, it is determined that the limit for this specific sequence is A = 2.
twoflower
Hi all,

I don't fully understand solving of limits when the sequence is given by some recurrent expression.

Eg. I have this sequence:

[tex]
a_{n} = \sqrt{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_{n+1} = \sqrt{2 + a_{n}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n} = ?
[/tex]

First, I should prove the monotony and finiteness (is it ok to say it in english this way?). Well I did the proof the monotony by induction, I hope right. Now the finiteness. How should I do it? Can I just guess it won't get greater than. let's say 2 ? Ok, I chose 2 and prove that it is finite.

Now the limit. Our teacher wrote this:

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n} = A
[/tex]

[tex]
A = \sqrt{2 + A}
[/tex]

And I ask, what should this mean? Where does this equality come from?

Of course to solve it is easy and we find out A = 2, which is the limit. But I don't understand why the equality.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the limit exists then the difference between a[n+1] and a[n] for very, very large values of n is very, very small. In other words, a[n+1] is approximately a[n] for very large n. Hence the substitution. I don't find this very satisfying though. Maybe somebody else can provide a more rigoruous explanation.

I think it is like this:
Since [tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n} = A
[/tex] we can say that [tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n+1} = A_{2}
[/tex].
This gives [tex]
A_{2}=\sqrt{(2+A)}
[/tex] and it´s obvious that [tex]
\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_{n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_{n+1}
[/tex] and then we get [tex]
A_{2}=A=\sqrt{2+A}
[/tex] and then we get A=2.

Yes. I think that's it! Very good.

What is a limit of a recurrently given sequence?

A limit of a recurrently given sequence is a value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases indefinitely.

Why is it important to study the limit of a recurrently given sequence?

The study of limits helps us understand the behavior and trend of a sequence, which has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you find the limit of a recurrently given sequence?

The limit of a recurrently given sequence can be found by observing the pattern of the sequence and using mathematical techniques such as the squeeze theorem, L'Hôpital's rule, or the ratio test.

What does it mean if a recurrently given sequence has no limit?

If a recurrently given sequence has no limit, it means that the terms of the sequence do not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases indefinitely. This could indicate that the sequence is divergent or oscillates between different values.

Can the limit of a recurrently given sequence be infinity?

Yes, the limit of a recurrently given sequence can be infinity if the terms of the sequence increase without bound as the number of terms increases indefinitely. This is known as a divergent sequence.