Limit of Wind Speed on Planets: Factors and Upper Bound Explanation

In summary, according to the sources I've looked at, there is no upper limit to how fast wind can get on a planetary scale. However, there are limits on how fast the wind can rotate and how much energy it can accumulate.
Justice Hunter
Besides solar wind, what is the limit of a natural wind on planets? I know it's based on rotation and atmospheric pressure differences, but is there an upper limit to how fast wind can get on a planetary scale?

I would imagine that the speed of sound would justify a limit, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I remember reading that there are wind speeds in our solar system that are 5 times the speed of sound on Earth, so no, I'd say that's not a limit.

Likes Justice Hunter
Solar wind is VERY fast ... at the time of typing this it is ...

Solar wind

speed: 369.9 km/sec

It can often exceed 1000 km/s with rare peaks to 3000km/s

do some googling on jet streams on Earth and wind speeds on Jupiter ... some respectable numbersDave

Oh, I was talking about winds on planets, since that's what the question was about.

Likes davenn
A good example of wind speed limitation here on Earth is that hurricanes and other cyclones always disintegrate rapidly when they encounter land masses.
A land mass cannot supply energy to the storm system to keep it going as a warm ocean does, and things like forests and mountain ranges are quite effective at draining away the energy which already is accumulated.

There is a limit on the angular velocity of any planets after which it would break up or become ovoid. That would limit the wind speed.

How about wind on a neutron star with equatorial velocity of c/10? Neutron stars have atmospheres of carbon gas. Though only a few inches thick, I don't see why there couldn't be wind.

The speed of sound would have nothing to do with it, since wind is molecules moving together, not oscillating.

Thanks for the responses everyone. After looking at some examples, there definitely doesn't appear to be a limit (other then the speed of light of course xd).

1. What factors affect the limit of wind speed on planets?

The limit of wind speed on planets is affected by various factors such as atmospheric composition, surface topography, rotation rate, and atmospheric temperature. These factors can either hinder or facilitate the formation and maintenance of high wind speeds.

2. Is there a universal upper bound for wind speed on all planets?

No, there is no universal upper bound for wind speed on all planets. The limit of wind speed varies depending on the specific conditions of each planet, such as its size, atmospheric composition, and distance from the sun.

3. How does atmospheric composition affect the limit of wind speed on planets?

The composition of a planet's atmosphere plays a crucial role in determining the limit of wind speed. For example, planets with thicker atmospheres tend to have higher wind speeds due to the increased air density, while planets with thinner atmospheres have lower wind speeds.

4. Can the rotation rate of a planet affect its limit of wind speed?

Yes, the rotation rate of a planet can greatly impact its limit of wind speed. Planets with faster rotation rates tend to have higher wind speeds due to the Coriolis effect, which causes winds to curve as they move across the planet's surface.

5. How does the temperature of a planet's atmosphere influence its limit of wind speed?

The temperature of a planet's atmosphere can affect its limit of wind speed in various ways. For instance, warmer temperatures can lead to more vigorous convection currents, which can result in higher wind speeds. Additionally, temperature differences between different regions on a planet can also contribute to the formation of strong winds.