Limit of x/[Sqrt(x^2+r^2)*r^2]

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Repetit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Repetit
Messages
128
Reaction score
2
Can someone tell me how to show that the value of

x/[Sqrt(x^2+r^2)*r^2]

approaches 1/r^2 when x approaches infinity? Cant figure out how to show this analytically, but by plotting the function it is obvious.

Btw, how do I get latex graphics to work?? It doesn't really work when I preview the post.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
to use latex use [tex][tex]and[/tex][/tex].
and as for the limit.. as x goes to infinity, [tex]\sqrt{x^2+r^2}[/tex] goes to x, because [tex]r^2[/tex] is much smaller and can be neglected.
so you get [tex]\frac{x}{xr^2}[/tex]
and as you can see the x's are canceled out giving [tex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Change the x in the numerator to sqrt(x^2) the multiply top and bottom by sqrt(1/(x^2))
 
Thank you for the quick answers! I see it clearly now :-)