Is the Limit Point of a Bounded Set Always a Supremum?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether a bounded set's supremum is a limit point of the set. The person asking the question provides a counterexample, but the book's answer claims that the statement is true and gives a proof. The discussion also touches on the definition of a limit point and the role of the supremum in determining if a point is a limit point.
lonewolf5999
Hello,

I'm working through an analysis textbook on my own, and came across a true/false question I was hoping someone could help me with. The question is:

If A is a bounded set, then s = sup A is a limit point of A.

I think that the statement is false, as I came up with what I think is a counterexample. Let A = {1,2}, then clearly A is bounded since if a is an element of A, 1 <= a <= 2. Also, sup A = 2. But in an earlier exercise, I proved that finite sets have no limit points, so since A is finite, sup A = 2 is not a limit point of A even though A is bounded.

However, my book claims that this statement is true, and even gives a proof. I can't figure out what's wrong with my counterexample, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me figure out what's wrong here. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
lonewolf5999 said:
Hello,

I'm working through an analysis textbook on my own, and came across a true/false question I was hoping someone could help me with. The question is:

If A is a bounded set, then s = sup A is a limit point of A.

I think that the statement is false, as I came up with what I think is a counterexample. Let A = {1,2}, then clearly A is bounded since if a is an element of A, 1 <= a <= 2. Also, sup A = 2. But in an earlier exercise, I proved that finite sets have no limit points, so since A is finite, sup A = 2 is not a limit point of A even though A is bounded.

However, my book claims that this statement is true, and even gives a proof. I can't figure out what's wrong with my counterexample, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me figure out what's wrong here. Thanks a lot!

Every element of a set is a limit point of the set. It is the limit of the constant Cauchy sequence. what you were probably thinking is that for a finite set there are no limit points outside of it.

lavinia said:
Every element of a set is a limit point of the set. It is the limit of the constant Cauchy sequence. what you were probably thinking is that for a finite set there are no limit points outside of it.

I'd agree with you, except that my book also says that x is a limit point of a set A iff there exists a sequence (an) contained in A such that lim an = x, and an =/= x for all n. So this means that when looking for a sequence contained in A converging to x, we're not allowed to consider the constant sequence (an) = x, or a sequence which is eventually equal to x, or any other sequence which has x as an element, which is why a finite set has no limit points.

edit @ below: I hope that answers the question. Any thoughts on my counterexample?

That is not the standard definition of "limit point":
Wikipedia: "Let S be a subset of a topological space X. A point x in X is a limit point of S if every open set containing x contains at least one point of S different from x itself." (emphasis mine)
Using that definition, a finite set cannot have any limit points.
Lonewolf5999, does that text give a definition of limit point?

lonewolf5999 said:
I'd agree with you, except that my book also says that x is a limit point of a set A iff there exists a sequence (an) contained in A such that lim an = x, and an =/= x for all n. So this means that when looking for a sequence contained in A converging to x, we're not allowed to consider the constant sequence (an) = x, or a sequence which is eventually equal to x, or any other sequence which has x as an element, which is why a finite set has no limit points.

edit @ below: I hope that answers the question. Any thoughts on my counterexample?

This seems to be a matter of definition. Your counter example is correct if a limit point must be outside the set. Conceptually you are looking for all points that are limits of Cauchy sequences in the set. I guess you can divide these into those that are inside and those that are outside.

I'll just post the book's answer to this question and see if anyone has any thoughts on this as well.

"Let A be a bounded set, and let s = sup A. Then for any ε > 0, s - ε is not an upper bound, so we can find an element a of A such that a > s - ε. Hence a lies in the ε-neighborhood of s, and so the ε-neighborhood of s intersects A at a point other than s. Hence s is a limit point of A."

I think that this answer makes the assumption that s = sup A is not an element of A itself, but my counterexample doesn't, which is why sup A = 2 is not a limit point in my example. Is this all I need to resolve the difference between my answer and the book's answer?

lonewolf5999 said:
I'll just post the book's answer to this question and see if anyone has any thoughts on this as well.

"Let A be a bounded set, and let s = sup A. Then for any ε > 0, s - ε is not an upper bound, so we can find an element a of A such that a > s - ε. Hence a lies in the ε-neighborhood of s, and so the ε-neighborhood of s intersects A at a point other than s. Hence s is a limit point of A."

I think that this answer makes the assumption that s = sup A is not an element of A itself, but my counterexample doesn't, which is why sup A = 2 is not a limit point in my example. Is this all I need to resolve the difference between my answer and the book's answer?

Yes. If you take the definition that a limit point is not an element of the set, then book's proof is not taking account of that clause in the definition.

Okay, I think that clears up the confusion I had. Thanks for helping me out.

What is a limit point of a bounded set?

A limit point of a bounded set is a point in a metric space that has the property that every neighborhood of the point contains infinitely many points of the set.

How is a limit point different from a cluster point?

A limit point and a cluster point are essentially the same concept. The only difference is that a cluster point includes the point itself, while a limit point does not.

Can a bounded set have more than one limit point?

Yes, a bounded set can have more than one limit point. In fact, if a set has infinitely many points, it will have infinitely many limit points.

How can you determine if a point is a limit point of a bounded set?

To determine if a point is a limit point of a bounded set, you can use the definition of a limit point: every neighborhood of the point must contain infinitely many points of the set. You can also use the sequential criterion, which states that a point is a limit point if and only if there exists a sequence of points in the set that converges to that point.

What is the significance of limit points in mathematics?

Limit points play a crucial role in the study of metric spaces and topology. They allow us to define important concepts such as closure and compactness, and they help us understand the behavior of sequences and functions in these spaces.