1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit superior/inferior

1. Mar 27, 2007 #1
    Hello, i just started in real analysis not too long ago. In my lecture notes There are 2 properties
    lim sup (x+y) < & = lim sup x + lim sup y
    lim sup (xy) < & = lim sup x * lim sup y
    however there are no proofs for them in my notes. so i was wondering if anyone knew where a proof of these properties might lay or possibily give me a proof for these.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2
    Take a following lemma.

If [tex]a=\textrm{sup}\{a_1,a_2,a_3,...\}[/tex], then there exists a subsequence [tex]a_{k_1},a_{k_2},...[/tex] so that [tex]\lim_{i\to\infty} a_{k_i} = a[/tex].

Using this it is possible to conclude that

[tex]\textrm{sup}\{x_n+y_n, x_{n+1}+y_{n+1},...\} \leq \textrm{sup}\{x_n,x_{n+1},...\} + \textrm{sup}\{y_n,y_{n+1},...\}[/tex]

and it's almost done.

EDIT: I used bad terminology. I guess for example [tex]a_1,a_1,a_1,...[/tex] isn't really a subsequence. Anyway, now that should be accepted as a "subsequence". The idea is then to take such a subsequence from the sequence of sums (on the left side of the inequality).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?