Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limitation of metallic sharpness from local electric field

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    Since there is a significantly-above atomic limit to the allowed sharpness of an (approximately zero-dimensional) needle point due to its local electric field, would there be a similar limit to the keenness of an (approximately one-dimensional) razor edge?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

The limitations are related to materials and the geometry of tools used to make needles and razors.

The sharpest point would be a single atom, and this is only achieveable with atomic force microprobes. IBM scientists have done some amazing work with AFMs.

More generally -

Unfortunately, I can't find a general paper or site that gives details on AFM's.
  4. Oct 31, 2007 #3

By "sharpness" I mean in terms of slimness, as in least solid angle for a needle. The probes you mention (granting the terminal atoms) are rather blunt nonetheless. My E-M professor once mentioned that the sharpness of metallic "spline" was limited (somewhat related to the effect of a lightning rod or comb teeth on a van de Graaff generator) by spontaneous fracture of its tip. So a needle, or spline, could only be so pointed, not from atomic considerations so much, but from the concentration of electric field in its above atomic scale tine.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?