Limits and continuity for complex functions

In summary, to show continuity for a function at a, you need to first find the limit as z -> a, then use the delta/epsilon definition to show that the function is differentiable at a, and then use this to find the value of f at a.
jaejoon89

Homework Statement

Given

f(z) = (1/(z-a))(1/z^2 - 1/a^2)

a is a fixed complex value

If you define a function over the complex numbers by mapping z to f(z) when z is not equal to a, how should this function be defined at a s.t. it's continuous at point a? Explain.

Homework Equations

A function will be continuous at a if

lim(z->a) f(z) = f(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

f(z) = -(z+a) / (z^2 a^2)
lim(z->a) = -2/a^2 = f(a)

I'm really not sure how to explain it or "justify it" as I'm supposed to beyond the 2 lines written above.

I'm really not sure what else is needed... If a is an interior point of the domain (?) then can't continuity be shown using the delta/epsilon definition?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you took the limit as z -> a, then that expression is just the derivative of 1/z^2 at a, and differentiability implies continuity so...

Thanks, but I think I'm supposed to justify it more along the lines of the delta/epsilon definition, or some other way without talking about differentiation. Which is back to my original question: how do you do that here?

I know that for any real number ε > 0 there exists a real number δ > 0 s.t. | f(z) − a | < ε for all complex numbers that satisfy | z − a | < δ. But how do I show this for this function?

Last edited:
Well either way, it seems like you need to know about differentiability to even figure out how to define f at a so that f is continuous or else you can't really prove continuity but then this all seems kind of pointless since differentiability implies continuity is the most basic result once differentiability has been defined.

But whatever, so basically f(a) = -2/a^3 right. So then you start with

[tex]\left|\frac{\frac{1}{z^2} - \frac{1}{a^2}}{z-a} + \frac{2}{a^3}\right| < \varepsilon[/tex]

and you should end up with

[tex]\left|\frac{(z-a)(2z + a)}{a^3 z^2}\right| < \varepsilon.[/tex]

Fill in the steps in between and/or check that what I wrote down is actually correct. Can you do the rest from here?

1. What is the definition of a limit for complex functions?

A limit for a complex function is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain point. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and can be calculated by evaluating the function at points closer and closer to the given point.

2. How is the concept of continuity applied to complex functions?

Continuity for complex functions refers to the smoothness of the function's graph without any breaks or jumps. A complex function is considered continuous if the limit of the function at a given point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. Can a complex function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, it is possible for a complex function to be continuous but not differentiable. This occurs when there is a sharp turn or cusp in the graph of the function, which makes it impossible to define a slope at that point.

4. How are the properties of limits applied to complex functions?

The properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules, can be applied to complex functions in the same way as they are applied to real functions. These rules allow us to evaluate limits of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts.

5. What are some real-life applications of limits and continuity for complex functions?

Limits and continuity for complex functions have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, these concepts are used to model and analyze the behavior of electrical circuits, the flow of fluids, and the growth of populations.