1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits and Continuous Functions problem

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define the function at a so as to make it continuous at a.
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}}; a = 4[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 4} \frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I cannot think of how to manipulate the denominator to achieve f(4), so I start by finding the left and right hand limits then applying the informal definition of a limit.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow +4}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -4}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]

I do not know if this is the right way to solve this problem though. If I use this method, I am still left with a function where f(4) is discontinuous. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Use the difference of two squares pattern
    [tex]a^2 - b^2 = (a - b)(a + b)[/tex]
    where a2 - b2 corresponds to 4 - x. See what happens.

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3
    Wow that seems so obvious now. I completely overlooked it. Thank you so much for the help.

5. Jun 18, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your notation needs a bit of tweaking. What you think you wrote, and what you actually wrote are two different things. Your limits were supposed to be one-sided limits around 4. The second limit, above, was as x approaches -4, which is not in the domain of the square root function.

This is what you should have written:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 4^+}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 4^-}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]

Notice that the plus and minus signs appear after 4.

6. Jun 19, 2011 #5
    Can you use L'Hospital's rule for something like this? The limit is in the indeterminate form of 0/0 and the result of one iteration of L'Hospital is 2√x which is continuous at x=4... Am I cheating here?

7. Jun 19, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you could use L'Hopital's rule but that would be "over-kill". eumyang's suggestion is much simpler.

8. Jun 19, 2011 #7
    I guess it doesn't seem obvious to me using the difference of squares then... Would you mind writing it out?

Ken

9. Jun 19, 2011 #8

gb7nash

Homework Helper

[tex]4 - x = (2 - \sqrt{x})(2 + \sqrt{x})[/tex]

After that, you get cancellation.

10. Jun 19, 2011 #9
    Omg! I was working the pants off the denominator and totally missed that the numerator was the key! Thanks!
    Ken

11. Jun 20, 2011 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another, similar, way to do this is to multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]2+ \sqrt{x}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook