Limits and Continuous Functions problem

That way, the denominator becomes a difference of two squares again, and you can use the same technique from there.
adillhoff

Homework Statement

Define the function at a so as to make it continuous at a.
[tex]f(x)=\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}}; a = 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 4} \frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot think of how to manipulate the denominator to achieve f(4), so I start by finding the left and right hand limits then applying the informal definition of a limit.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow +4}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -4}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]

I do not know if this is the right way to solve this problem though. If I use this method, I am still left with a function where f(4) is discontinuous. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the difference of two squares pattern
[tex]a^2 - b^2 = (a - b)(a + b)[/tex]
where a2 - b2 corresponds to 4 - x. See what happens.

Wow that seems so obvious now. I completely overlooked it. Thank you so much for the help.

adillhoff said:

Homework Statement

Define the function at a so as to make it continuous at a.
[tex]f(x)=\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}}; a = 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 4} \frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot think of how to manipulate the denominator to achieve f(4), so I start by finding the left and right hand limits then applying the informal definition of a limit.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow +4}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -4}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]
Your notation needs a bit of tweaking. What you think you wrote, and what you actually wrote are two different things. Your limits were supposed to be one-sided limits around 4. The second limit, above, was as x approaches -4, which is not in the domain of the square root function.

This is what you should have written:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 4^+}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 4^-}\frac{4-x}{2-\sqrt{x}} = 4[/tex]

Notice that the plus and minus signs appear after 4.
adillhoff said:
I do not know if this is the right way to solve this problem though. If I use this method, I am still left with a function where f(4) is discontinuous. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Can you use L'Hospital's rule for something like this? The limit is in the indeterminate form of 0/0 and the result of one iteration of L'Hospital is 2√x which is continuous at x=4... Am I cheating here?

Yes, you could use L'Hopital's rule but that would be "over-kill". eumyang's suggestion is much simpler.

adillhoff said:
Wow that seems so obvious now. I completely overlooked it. Thank you so much for the help.

I guess it doesn't seem obvious to me using the difference of squares then... Would you mind writing it out?

Ken

kmacinto said:
I guess it doesn't seem obvious to me using the difference of squares then... Would you mind writing it out?

Ken

[tex]4 - x = (2 - \sqrt{x})(2 + \sqrt{x})[/tex]

After that, you get cancellation.

Omg! I was working the pants off the denominator and totally missed that the numerator was the key! Thanks!
Ken

Another, similar, way to do this is to multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]2+ \sqrt{x}[/itex].

Related to Limits and Continuous Functions problem

1. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input (x) approaches a specific value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a given value.

2. How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the values of the function approaches a specific value as its input gets closer and closer to a given value. This can be determined by evaluating the function at values that are closer and closer to the given value. If the values are approaching the same value, then the limit exists.

3. What is the difference between a left-sided limit and a right-sided limit?

A left-sided limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a given value from the left side (values less than the given value). A right-sided limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a given value from the right side (values greater than the given value).

4. How do you evaluate a limit algebraically?

To evaluate a limit algebraically, you can use the basic rules of algebra and calculus, such as factoring, simplifying, and canceling out terms. You can also use special techniques, such as L'Hôpital's rule, to evaluate limits that involve indeterminate forms.

5. What is the relationship between continuity and limits?

Continuity and limits are closely related in calculus. A function is said to be continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, a function is continuous if there are no gaps or breaks in its graph.