Limits and Imp/Explicit Differentiation

In summary, the conversation covers a student's preparation for an upcoming test and their request for someone to check their solutions to some review questions. The conversation also includes a question about the differentiability of a function at two points, with a provided solution for one point. The conversation ends with a confirmation of the correctness of two other solutions.
Sesse
*opps fixing the latex code*
I have a test coming up so I tried solving some review questions but couldn't solve all of them. I will also post the ones which I am not sure whether they are correct or wrong so please spare some time to check them too. :smile:
[tex] F(x)=
\left{
\begin{array}{cc}
-x, & \mbox{ if } x<-1\\
x^2, & \mbox{ if } -1 \leq x<1\\
\frac{1}{x}, & \mbox{ if } x\geq 1
\end{array}
\right
[/tex]
Use limit definition of the derivative to see if the fuction is differentiable at [tex]x=-1[/tex] and [tex]x=1[/tex]
At [tex]x=-1[/tex]
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow -1^-} \frac{f(x)-f(-1)}{x-(-1)}=-1[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1^+} \frac{f(x)+1}{x+1} = \frac{(x+1)(x-1)}{x+1}=x-1=-2[/tex]
If this solution for [tex]x=-1[/tex] is correct then it is also correct for [tex]x=1[/tex] so I won't show my solution for that.
So the fuction is not differentiable at both points?
2. Probably correct.
3. [tex]y=(t^{2/3}).e^{sin(t)}+t[/tex]
Find the slope at (0,0)
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\left(\frac{2}{3}t^{-1/3}e^{sin(t)}+t^{2/3}e^{sin(t)}cos(t)\right)+1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=1?[/tex]

More will come. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, both of those are correct.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value or point. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a certain point, and can be used to determine the continuity, differentiability, and convergence of a function.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use the limit laws and techniques such as substitution, factoring, and rationalization. You can also use the graph of the function to estimate the limit. In some cases, you may need to use more advanced methods such as L'Hopital's rule or Taylor series.

3. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a technique used to find the derivative of an implicitly defined function, where the dependent variable is not expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable. It involves treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable and using the chain rule to find the derivative.

4. What is explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is a technique used to find the derivative of an explicitly defined function, where the dependent variable is written explicitly in terms of the independent variable. It involves using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and product rule, to find the derivative.

5. How are limits and differentiation related?

Limits and differentiation are closely related because the derivative of a function at a point can be defined as the limit of the rate of change of the function as the change in the input approaches zero. In other words, differentiation is the process of finding the limit of the slope of a curve at a specific point.