Limits and Vertical Asymptotes

In summary, if the numerator is a positive constant and the denominator approaches zero but remains constant, then the right-hand limit of this quotient is infinity.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

I found that the domain of f was defined for all reals x<-1/3 and x>1/3. Now, I need to find the limits and vertical asymptotes of
##\lim _{\chi \rightarrow \dfrac {1} {3}}\dfrac {x+2} {\sqrt {9x^{2}-1}}##

According to Wolfram Alpha, there is no limit. But, I found that the limit approaches 54(80/9)^(1/2).

The Attempt at a Solution

##\dfrac {\dfrac {x} {x}+\dfrac {2} {x}} {\dfrac {\sqrt {9x^{2}-1}} {\sqrt {x^{2}}}}=\dfrac {1+\dfrac {2} {x}} {\sqrt {9-\dfrac {1} {x^{2}}}}##
Then, I use L' Hospital:

##\dfrac {-2x^{-2}} {\dfrac {1} {2}\left( 9-x^{2}\right) ^{-1 / 2}\left( -2x\right) }=\dfrac {2} {x^{3}}\sqrt {9-x^{2}}##

So, the limit approaches 54 *(80/9)^1/2

Please, help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

I found that the domain of f was defined for all reals x<-1/3 and x>1/3. Now, I need to find the limits and vertical asymptotes of
##\lim _{\chi \rightarrow \dfrac {1} {3}}\dfrac {x+2} {\sqrt {9x^{2}-1}}##

According to Wolfram Alpha, there is no limit. But, I found that the limit approaches 54(80/9)^(1/2).

The Attempt at a Solution

##\dfrac {\dfrac {x} {x}+\dfrac {2} {x}} {\dfrac {\sqrt {9x^{2}-1}} {\sqrt {x^{2}}}}=\dfrac {1+\dfrac {2} {x}} {\sqrt {9-\dfrac {1} {x^{2}}}}##
Then, I use L' Hospital:
L'Hôpital's rule can't be applied here.

This limit is not of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞ .
##\dfrac {-2x^{-2}} {\dfrac {1} {2}\left( 9-x^{2}\right) ^{-1 / 2}\left( -2x\right) }=\dfrac {2} {x^{3}}\sqrt {9-x^{2}}##

So, the limit approaches 54 *(80/9)^1/2

Please, help.

You are right, but how can I proceed?

Try multiplying by 1.

I am trying the squeeze theorem now, but still no answer. There have to be some sort of crafty manipulation to the equation. It's very easy to find the limit at infinity, though.

Hmm now that I took a closer look at this. You should get no limit at all. Think about what happens as you approach 1/3 from the right and 1/3 from the left.

I know that the function grows without bound as x approaches x=-1/3 and x=1/3, but I need to prove it.

knowLittle said:
I am trying the squeeze theorem now, but still no answer. There have to be some sort of crafty manipulation to the equation. It's very easy to find the limit at infinity, though.
Easy, but not relevant.

Zondrina said:
Hmm now that I took a closer look at this. You should get no limit at all. Think about what happens as you approach 1/3 from the right and 1/3 from the left.
Since the domain is (-∞, -1/3) U (1/3, ∞) it makes no sense to approach 1/3 from the left. The function is not defined on [-1/3, 1/3].

The problem should be restated as this:
$$ \lim_{x \to 1/3^+}\frac{x + 2}{\sqrt{9x^2 - 1}}$$

The limit can be evaluated directly by noting what the numerator is doing and what the denominator is doing as x gets close to 1/3 from the right.

I see that the numerator is approaching 2.333... and the denominator approaches 0.
I know that, when lim x-> 0 1/(x^2) it's very clear that the function grows without bounds, but in this occasion I just can't see how it grows.

knowLittle said:
I see that the numerator is approaching 2.333... and the denominator approaches 0.
I know that, when lim x-> 0 1/(x^2) it's very clear that the function grows without bounds, but in this occasion I just can't see how it grows.
Yes, the denominator approaches 0, but from what direction?

Is the denominator ever negative?

knowLittle said:

SammyS said:
Yes, the denominator approaches 0, but from what direction?
The answer to Sammy's question is crucial to determining what the limit is.

The denominator is never negative. It approaches 0 from the right hand side.

Is this the same as saying: (any constant)/ (a number infinitely small that never really reaches zero) ?
Then, it follows by the same principle as 1/ (x^2) as x->0 grows without bound?

knowLittle said:
The denominator is never negative. It approaches 0 from the right hand side.

Is this the same as saying: (any constant)/ (a number infinitely small that never really reaches zero) ?
I think you have the idea, but you're not saying it very well.

If the numerator is a positive constant, and the denominator approaches zero but remains constant, then the right-hand limit of this quotient is infinity.
knowLittle said:
Then, it follows by the same principle as 1/ (x^2) as x->0 grows without bound?

What do you mean by, "the denominator approaches zero, but remains constant"?
How do you know that it remains constant? How so?

knowLittle said:
What do you mean by, "the denominator approaches zero, but remains constant"?
How do you know that it remains constant? How so?
I think Mark meant to say
the denominator approaches zero, but remains positive.​

Thank you very much to all. Now, it remains clear that the same principle of limit is there.

Thank you, again!

What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input values approach a certain value. It represents the value that the function approaches, but may not necessarily reach, as the input values get closer and closer to the specified value.

What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a line on a graph that a function approaches but never crosses. It occurs when the function approaches infinity or negative infinity as the input values approach a certain value. Vertical asymptotes can also occur when the function is undefined at a certain point.

How do you find the vertical asymptote of a function?

To find the vertical asymptote of a function, you need to look for values of the input that cause the function to become undefined. These values will be the points where the vertical asymptote occurs. You can also use the limit concept to determine the vertical asymptote by finding the value that the function approaches as the input values approach the undefined point.

What is the difference between a removable and non-removable vertical asymptote?

A removable vertical asymptote occurs when the function can be simplified or factored to remove the undefined point, resulting in a continuous function. A non-removable vertical asymptote, on the other hand, cannot be removed and will always create a discontinuity in the function.

Why do we use limits and vertical asymptotes in mathematics?

Limits and vertical asymptotes are important concepts in mathematics because they allow us to better understand the behavior of functions and how they approach certain values. They also help us determine the continuity of a function and identify any discontinuities. Additionally, they are used in calculus to calculate derivatives and integrals of functions.