Limits - Did I do the questions correctly?

• Thread starter Macleef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: I thought instantaneous value means the same thing as slope and slope means the same thing as finding the derivative?My teacher wanted the class to use those formulas mentioned and yes it was a typo..it's y' = (b^x)(lnb)In summary, the conversation involved finding the average and instantaneous values of a stock that increases in value at a rate of 12% per year, with a starting investment of $5000. The average value was calculated incorrectly, and the correct formula for finding the instantaneous value (slope) was provided. The concept of "instantaneous value" was also clarified as being different from the derivative.
Macleef

Homework Statement

If you invest $5000 in a stock that is increasing in value at the rate of 12% per year, then the value of your stock is given by:

f(x) = 5000(1.12)^x, where x is measured in years

a) find average value from x = 2 to x = 3
b) find instantaneous value at x = 3

Homework Equations

y = b^x
y' = (b^x)(ln^x)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) f(x) = 5000(1.12)^{5 - 2} = 5000(1.12)^3 = 7024.64
b) f'(x) = (5000(1.12)^3)(ln 1.12) = (7024.64)(0.113) = 796.093

Physics news on Phys.org
Macleef said:

Homework Statement

If you invest $5000 in a stock that is increasing in value at the rate of 12% per year, then the value of your stock is given by:

f(x) = 5000(1.12)^x, where x is measured in years

a) find average value from x = 2 to x = 3
b) find instantaneous value at x = 3

Homework Equations

y = b^x
y' = (b^x)(ln^x)
No. the derivative of b^x is ln(b) b^x. I guess that was a typo.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) f(x) = 5000(1.12)^{5 - 2} = 5000(1.12)^3 = 7024.64
b) f'(x) = (5000(1.12)^3)(ln 1.12) = (7024.64)(0.113) = 796.093[/QUOTE]
I have no idea why you did either of those things. You are asked for the "average value" of f(x) between x= 2 and x= 3 and you calculated f(3)? In what sense is that an average? What is the standard definition of "average" of a continuous function? Is it at all likely that the "average" value of an incerasing function will be the very last value?

For (b), why did you differentiate? there is nothing said obout a derivative, only the "instantaneous" value of the function. Do you really think the value at x= 3 is lower than the amount you started with?

HallsofIvy said:
No. the derivative of b^x is ln(b) b^x. I guess that was a typo.

b) f'(x) = (5000(1.12)^3)(ln 1.12) = (7024.64)(0.113) = 796.093
I have no idea why you did either of those things. You are asked for the "average value" of f(x) between x= 2 and x= 3 and you calculated f(3)? In what sense is that an average? What is the standard definition of "average" of a continuous function? Is it at all likely that the "average" value of an incerasing function will be the very last value?

For (b), why did you differentiate? there is nothing said obout a derivative, only the "instantaneous" value of the function. Do you really think the value at x= 3 is lower than the amount you started with?

You may be completely misunderstanding the question- I cannot see that it has anything to do with "limits".

I thought instantaneous value means the same thing as slope and slope means the same thing as finding the derivative?

My teacher wanted the class to use those formulas mentioned and yes it was a typo..it's y' = (b^x)(lnb)

1. How do I know if I did the questions correctly?

The best way to know if you did the questions correctly is to double-check your answers and compare them to the model solutions provided in the textbook or by your teacher. If your answers match, then you likely did the questions correctly.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving limit problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving limit problems include not properly simplifying expressions, misinterpreting the limit notation, and using the wrong rules or formulas for solving specific types of limit problems.

3. What should I do if I am unsure about my answer to a limit problem?

If you are unsure about your answer to a limit problem, it is always a good idea to ask your teacher or a classmate for help. They can provide you with feedback and help you understand where you may have gone wrong in your calculations.

4. Is it possible to get partial credit for a limit problem even if my answer is not entirely correct?

Yes, it is possible to receive partial credit for a limit problem if your work shows a solid understanding of the concepts and you make a minor error in your calculations. However, it is important to always strive for accuracy in your answers.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving limit problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving limit problems is to practice regularly. Work through a variety of problems and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to reinforce your understanding of the concepts and techniques used in solving limit problems.