Limits - Prove that xsin1/x approaches 0 near 0

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: No, I didn't...Uniform continuity would be "Forall ε>0, there is a δ>0, such that for all x,y...". Here, I'm holding 0 fixed and I say " "Forall ε>0, there is a δ>0, such that for all x...".Yes, that's what it means.
Miike012
limits -- Prove that xsin1/x approaches 0 near 0

Prove that xsin1/x approaches 0 near 0.

Similiar Proof from book
|sin1/x| ≤ 1
| xsin1/x | ≤ |x| for all x not equal to 0, so we can make |xsin1/x|< ε by requiring that |x| < ε and not equal to 0.

MY QUESTION: Prove x2sin1/x approaches 0 near 0.

According to the book, if ε>0, to ensure that |x2sin1/x |< ε we need only require that |x| < ε and not equal to 0.

shouldnt |x| be less that √ε? Hence |x2 | < ε and |x|< √ε.

Physics news on Phys.org

Use the Pinching theorem.
[tex]-x \le x\sin \frac{1}{x} \le x[/tex]

sharks said:
Use the Pinching theorem.
[tex]-x \le x\sin \frac{1}{x} \le x[/tex]

Ok how does that tell me that |x2sin1/x|< ε for |x|< ε??

Miike012 said:
Prove that xsin1/x approaches 0 near 0.

Similiar Proof from book
|sin1/x| ≤ 1
| xsin1/x | ≤ |x| for all x not equal to 0, so we can make |xsin1/x|< ε by requiring that |x| < ε and not equal to 0.

MY QUESTION: Prove x2sin1/x approaches 0 near 0.

According to the book, if ε>0, to ensure that |x2sin1/x |< ε we need only require that |x| < ε and not equal to 0.

Are you supposed to use a δ - ε proof, or can you use such things as the "squeeze theorem" ?

SammyS said:
Are you supposed to use a δ - ε proof, or can you use such things as the "squeeze theorem" ?

delta epsilon proof

Miike012 said:
Prove that x^2sin1/x approaches 0 near 0.

all I am doing is quoting from the book... and I want to know how they decided that |x|<ε

Well, for small enough [itex]\epsilon[/itex], [itex]0<\epsilon < \sqrt{\epsilon}[/itex].

In fact, we only need [itex] 0<\epsilon<1[/itex] for this to be true.

Oh and also for a more fundamental reason. In Spivak's book, (I don't know for other books) the proof that this limit is 0 using delta-epsilon comes before the proof that every positive number has a square root (which requires the least upper bound property). So the existence of such a number [itex]\sqrt{\epsilon}[/itex]. cannot be assumed.

Last edited:

This is a common hangup for people doing ##\epsilon-\delta## proofs for the first time.

You don't need to find the "best" ##\delta##; you just need to find one that works.

If [itex]\displaystyle |x| < 1\,,\ \text{ then (multiplying by }|x| \text{ gives } |x^2|<|x|\,,\text{ and } |x| < 1\, \text{ ) } |x^2|<1 \ .[/itex]

So let δ = min(1,√ε) .

There is a general theorem:
If [itex]f(x) \rightarrow 0, \ x \rightarrow a[/itex], and [itex] \vert g(x) \vert \le M, \ \forall x \in U(a)[/itex], where [itex]U(a)[/itex] is some neighborhood of the point [itex]a[/itex], then:
[tex]
\mathrm{\lim}_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) \, g(x) = 0
[/tex]

Can you prove it?

I just learned the δε definition myself and am very shaky on it. Since |x|< δ can we not turn |x2sin([itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex])|< ε into |x|<[itex]\frac{ε}{xsin(\frac{1}{x})}[/itex]. And now we have our δ=[itex]\frac{ε}{xsin(\frac{1}{x})}[/itex] and use this in the proof.

Miike012 said:
all I am doing is quoting from the book... and I want to know how they decided that |x|<ε

Because it's part of the εδ definition that |x2sin(1/x)|<ε and it's just the nature of the function that |x| ≤ |xsin(1/x)|

Last edited:

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
I just learned the δε definition myself and am very shaky on it. Since |x|< δ can we not turn |x2sin([itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex])|< ε into |x|<[itex]\frac{ε}{xsin(\frac{1}{x})}[/itex]. And now we have our δ=[itex]\frac{ε}{xsin(\frac{1}{x})}[/itex] and use this in the proof.

No, this way our δ would depend on x.

The ε-δ definition tells us that "For all ε, there must exist a δ, such that for all x, ...". This means that our δ must work for all x. Your proposed δ does not work for all x.

For [itex]0< \epsilon< 1[/itex], [itex]\epsilon< \sqrt{\epsilon}[/itex] so "[itex]<\epsilon[/itex]" is sufficient.

micromass said:
No, this way our δ would depend on x.

The ε-δ definition tells us that "For all ε, there must exist a δ, such that for all x, ...". This means that our δ must work for all x. Your proposed δ does not work for all x.

You've got your quantifiers mixed up an have given the definition of uniform continuity.

gopher_p said:
You've got your quantifiers mixed up an have given the definition of uniform continuity.

No, I didn't...

Uniform continuity would be "Forall ε>0, there is a δ>0, such that for all x,y..."
Here, I'm holding 0 fixed and I say " "Forall ε>0, there is a δ>0, such that for all x..."

OK, it might be confusing though that I did not write the definition fully.

SammyS said:
If [itex]\displaystyle |x| < 1\,,\ \text{ then (multiplying by }|x| \text{ gives } |x^2|<|x|\,,\text{ and } |x| < 1\, \text{ ) } |x^2|<1 \ .[/itex]

So let δ = min(1,√ε) .
I must have had a brain cramp!

It looks like you could use either of the following for δ :
δ = √ε

δ = min(1, ε)​

micromass said:
No, I didn't...

Uniform continuity would be "Forall ε>0, there is a δ>0, such that for all x,y..."
Here, I'm holding 0 fixed and I say " "Forall ε>0, there is a δ>0, such that for all x..."

OK, it might be confusing though that I did not write the definition fully.

Yes. You are correct. I misread your yada-yada. Though I probably shouldn't have given the context.

My bad.

If you want to be fancy, the power series expansion of sinx is:

sinx = x - x3/6 + ...

It follows that sin(1/x) = 1/x - (1/x)3/6 + ...

and x2sin(1/x) = x - (1/x)/6 + ...

so, lim x -> ∞ x2sin(1/x) = 0

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value or point.

2. How do you prove that xsin1/x approaches 0 near 0?

To prove that xsin1/x approaches 0 near 0, we need to use the definition of a limit and show that for any given small positive number, there exists a corresponding small number such that the absolute value of xsin1/x is less than the given number.

3. Why does xsin1/x approach 0 near 0?

This limit approaches 0 because as x gets closer to 0, the value of sin1/x oscillates between -1 and 1, thus causing the product to approach 0.

4. Is xsin1/x continuous at 0?

No, xsin1/x is not continuous at 0 because the limit approaches 0 from both sides, but the actual value at 0 is undefined due to the presence of a division by 0.

5. Can this limit be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, this limit can be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule as the original function is in an indeterminate form of 0/0. By taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator, we can simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.