Understanding Limits: Does the Sum of Limits Always Equal the Limit of the Sum?

• Thread starter PhysicsAnonnn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: I think I understand the problem now.In summary, the statement "Assume that the limit, as x approaches 0, of f(x)+g(x) exists" does not necessarily mean that the limit must be equal to f(0)+g(0). This statement can be either true or false. If it is true, it means that f(0) and g(0) are defined and the limit is equal to f(0)+g(0). If it is false, it means that either f(0) or g(0) is undefined, but the limit still exists. An example of a false statement would be f(x) = x^2/x, where the limit exists but f(0)+g
PhysicsAnonnn

Homework Statement

Assume that the limit, as x approaches 0, of f(x)+g(x) exists. Must the limit be f(0)+g(0)? If it's true, explain. If it's false, give an example.

I am failing to understand this problem. How do I check if it's true or false?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsAnonnn said:

Homework Statement

Assume that the limit, as x approaches 0, of f(x)+g(x) exists. If it's true, explain. If it's false, give an example.

I am failing to understand this problem. How do I check if it's true or false?
I don't understand it, either. Are you sure you have stated the problem verbatim? It seems to me that you are missing something important in the problem statement.

Mark44 said:
I don't understand it, either. Are you sure you have stated the problem verbatim? It seems to me that you are missing something important in the problem statement.

Sorry, I forgot to include the other part of the question. Must the limit be f(0)+g(0)?

In other words, "If [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} f(x)+ g(x)[/itex] exists, must it be equal to f(0)+ g(0)"?

Saying that [itex]\lim_{x\to a} F(x)= F(a)[/itex] is essentially saying that F is continuous at x= a, isn't it? Is there any part of your problem, that you have not told us, that says f and g are continuous at x= 0?

Suppose f(x)= 5 if x is not 0, f(0)= 100, g(x)= 4 if x is not 0, g(0)= 100. What is f(x)+ g(x)? What is [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} f(x)+ g(x)[/itex]? What is f(0)+ g(0)?

To add to what HallsOfIvy said about continuity, consider f(x) = (x2 - 4)/(x - 2)

It can be shown that [tex]\lim_{x \to 2} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 2} \frac{x^2 - 4}{x - 2} = 4[/tex]
so this limit exists. Does that mean f(2) exists?

HallsofIvy said:
In other words, "If [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} f(x)+ g(x)[/itex] exists, must it be equal to f(0)+ g(0)"?

Saying that [itex]\lim_{x\to a} F(x)= F(a)[/itex] is essentially saying that F is continuous at x= a, isn't it? Is there any part of your problem, that you have not told us, that says f and g are continuous at x= 0?

Suppose f(x)= 5 if x is not 0, f(0)= 100, g(x)= 4 if x is not 0, g(0)= 100. What is f(x)+ g(x)? What is [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} f(x)+ g(x)[/itex]? What is f(0)+ g(0)?

f(x) + g(x) would be equal to 9 while f(0) + g(0) would be equal to 200. The only thing that matters is how f(x) + g(x) is defined near 0, but never considering x = 0. Is that correct?

Mark44 said:
To add to what HallsOfIvy said about continuity, consider f(x) = (x2 - 4)/(x - 2)

It can be shown that [tex]\lim_{x \to 2} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 2} \frac{x^2 - 4}{x - 2} = 4[/tex]
so this limit exists. Does that mean f(2) exists?

No, f(2) is undefined; therefore, [tex]\lim_{x \to 2} \frac{x^2 - 4}{x - 2} = 4[/tex] cannot be equal to f(2). The limit does not care about x = 2, it only cares about how it's defined near 2. Am I correct?

Yes. Now can you answer your original problem?

Yes, thank you Mark44 and HallsofIvy.
The easiest way to prove that the original problem is false is to substitute an equation for either f(x) or g(x) where f(0) or g(0) is undefined. So, I could use [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} {f(x)} + \lim_{x \to 0} {g(x)} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{1}{x^2} + \lim_{x \to 0} {x} = \infty[/tex]
Since f(0) is undefined for f(x), the original is problem is false.
Is that correct?

No, that's not a good counterexample. You want lim (x -> 0) (f(x) + g(x)) to exist, but f(0) + g(0) to be undefined. Think about what was said in this thread about continuity.

Mark44 said:
No, that's not a good counterexample. You want lim (x -> 0) (f(x) + g(x)) to exist, but f(0) + g(0) to be undefined. Think about what was said in this thread about continuity.

But that limit does exist, doesn't it? It approaches the same value (positive infinity) from both sides of the limit, after all...

I'm fine with anything other than limits as x approaches 0. Can you give me a counterexample for the original problem that works? For limits as x approaches 0, the only thing I can think of to make f(0) or g(0) undefined is an infinity function.

Char. Limit said:
But that limit does exist, doesn't it? It approaches the same value (positive infinity) from both sides of the limit, after all...
Only in the sense that infinity exists. What I was hoping for was something where the limit was a finite number, but the two functions were undefined.

PhysicsAnonnn said:
I'm fine with anything other than limits as x approaches 0. Can you give me a counterexample for the original problem that works? For limits as x approaches 0, the only thing I can think of to make f(0) or g(0) undefined is an infinity function.

f(x) = x2/x has a removable discontinuity at x = 0.

Mark44 said:
f(x) = x2/x has a removable discontinuity at x = 0.

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} {f(x)} + \lim_{x \to 0} {g(x)} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x^3}{x} + \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x^2}{x} = 0[/tex]

f(x) + g(x) = 0
f(0) + g(0) = undefined

Is that correct?

Mark44 said:
Almost. f(x) + g(x) = x2 + x, if x is not 0.

How would you write that as a complete answer?

I would also like to know if:

[tex] \infty + a finite number = \infty[/tex]

undefined + defined = undefined

PhysicsAnonnn said:
How would you write that as a complete answer?

I would also like to know if:

[tex] \infty + a = \infty[/tex]

undefined + defined = undefined

Yes.

Thank you for your help, Char. Limit, HallsofIvy, and Mark44.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a particular value. It is the value that the function approaches, or "approaches but never reaches", as the input gets closer and closer to the specified value.

2. How is a limit calculated?

A limit is typically calculated using the limit laws, which are a set of rules that allow us to find the limit of a function algebraically. These laws include properties such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient of limits. Additionally, we can also use graphs and tables to estimate the limit of a function.

3. Can the sum of limits always equal the limit of the sum?

No, the sum of limits does not always equal the limit of the sum. This is because the limit laws do not apply to all functions, and there are certain conditions that must be met for the limit laws to hold. In some cases, the limit of the sum may be equal to the sum of the limits, but this is not always the case.

4. What are some examples of when the sum of limits does not equal the limit of the sum?

One example is when dealing with functions that have a point of discontinuity, such as a vertical asymptote. In these cases, the limit of the sum may not exist, but the sum of the limits may still be defined. Another example is when dealing with functions that have different limits from the left and right sides of a certain point, known as a jump discontinuity.

5. Why is it important to understand limits in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to study the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. They are also crucial in the development of calculus, which is used in many fields of science and engineering. Additionally, understanding limits helps us to better understand and solve complex problems involving rates of change and infinity.