Line integral around a circle in polar coordinates

In summary, a line integral around a circle in polar coordinates is a method for calculating the total value of a function along the circumference of a circle using polar coordinates. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics. The calculation involves integrating the function along the path of the circle, defined by polar coordinates r and θ. This technique has various applications, such as finding work done by a force, determining flux of a vector field, and calculating total charge enclosed by a circular loop. The use of polar coordinates simplifies calculations and is well-suited for circular paths, but may not be suitable for other shapes or provide the most accurate results in certain cases.
JacobNielsen
I know that [itex]\oint_{C}\mathrm{d}\vec{l} = 0[/itex], for any closed curve C.
But when i try to calculate the integral around the unit circle in polar coordinates, I get a result different from zero.

Here is my approach : [itex]\oint_{C}\mathrm{d}\vec{l} = \int_{0}^{2\pi}\hat{\phi}\mathrm{d}\phi = 2\pi\hat{\phi} \neq 0[/itex]
Since the line element [itex]\mathrm{d}\vec{l}[itex] is pointing in the azimuthal direction.

Where do I make a mistake?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.. I appreciate it.

What is a line integral around a circle in polar coordinates?

A line integral around a circle in polar coordinates is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total value of a function along the circumference of a circle, using polar coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates. It is useful in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

How is a line integral around a circle in polar coordinates calculated?

The line integral around a circle in polar coordinates is calculated by integrating the function along the path of the circle, which is defined by the polar coordinates r and θ. The integral is typically solved using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

What are the applications of a line integral around a circle in polar coordinates?

A line integral around a circle in polar coordinates has various applications in science and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force along a circular path, finding the flux of a vector field through a circular region, and determining the total charge enclosed by a circular loop.

What are the advantages of using polar coordinates for a line integral around a circle?

Polar coordinates are particularly useful for calculating line integrals around a circle because they simplify the calculations by eliminating the need for complex geometric formulas. Additionally, polar coordinates are well-suited for circular paths, making them a natural choice for this type of calculation.

Are there any limitations to using a line integral around a circle in polar coordinates?

While polar coordinates are convenient for calculating line integrals around circles, they may not be suitable for other types of paths or shapes. In these cases, other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian coordinates, may be more appropriate. Additionally, polar coordinates may not always provide the most accurate results, depending on the function being integrated and the precision required.